Should I buy Nikon D3100 in Singapore? - Please suggest

debesh_narayan_mishra

<p>I am planning to go on a trip to Singapore in a week's time. Among other things, I would like to buy a digital SLR for myself. Having been a long time Nikon fan, I would love to try out the new D3100. Here are my questions:<br>

1) I have two lenses (i) AF-D 28-80 - 3.5-5.6 and (ii) AF-D 80-200 - 4.5 - 5.6 (leftovers from my Nikon F90X)<br>

2) I have a Speedlight SB-28 (leftover from Nikon F90X)<br>

Please suggest what I should do, with reference to the followng:<br>

1) How much do the D3100 and D90 cost in Singapore?<br>

2) Is it advisable to go for D90 instead of D3100?<br>

3) If I settle for D3100, should I go for the standard 18-55 and 55-300 lenses or should one Nikkor 18-200 be sufficient/convenient for all purposes?<br>

4) How reliable will the SB-28 be on the D3100/D90 in non TTL auto mode?<br>

Waiting for your kind inputs please,<br>

Sincerely,<br>

Debesh</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You should buy from your own country if you want to get it fixed under warranty any time soon, but I believe if you travel to Singapore and buy a Nikon product there, they will fix it if it breaks down at home. (If it's shipped to you that's different and they might not fix it... period.)</p>

<p>If it's travel photography you're doing, a D90 with an 18-200 is a lovely combo. I'd prefer a D90 with the 16-85 and just crop in on the tele end when you need to. Believe it or not, the 16-18 can be more useful than the 85-200 (you can always crop in, but you can't crop "out"). Then if you NEED longer, you can stick your old 80-200 on there. If it's the one I'm thinking of, if you're at f8, it'll work very well on a D90 and it's so lightweight you'll barely know it's there.</p>

<p>The 28-80 is an awkward length for DX Digital. I'd sell or give it away with the F90 and the SB28.</p>

<p>The SB28 will NOT work in any TTL fashion with any current Nikon DSLR, so you're looking at getting an SB600 imho, too.</p>

<p>If cost is an issue, a D3100 with a 55-200 VR in addition would be a GREAT travel combo, and probably take just as good photos as the D90 in most cases. Only you can decide if the extra features the D90 has are worth it. For me, I gotta have them.</p>

<p>If you can stretch your budget and are not in a big hurry... the D7000 is probably going to smoke everything but the full-frame cameras when it starts shipping in a few days or weeks.</p>

<p>You might want to visit www.clubsnap.org - that's singapore's local forum for photographers, and inside the nikon forum there should be a price list. Ymmv, I haven't visited in a loong time.</p>

<p>If you can afford a D90, I'd say that's a good choice. Why not the D7000?</p>

<p>18-55 + 55-300 vs 18-200 - personal preference really. I haven't used either the 55-300 or 18-200 so can't comment. 18-55VR is a very nice lens. My travel combo is 16-85 + 70-300vr.</p>

<p>I use my SB28 as a backup flash with my d200/300, it works very well in either manual or auto flash modes. But best you get a SB600 or better - balanced fill flash is to die for :)</p>

<p>Debesh,<br>

Remember to collect your 7% GST refund at the airport - otherwise the prices are not comparable to other places.<br>

Call in advance and check the price from several dealers - each time a new dealer turns out to be the cheapest in my experience. Ensure that all quot you a GST included price.<br>

Lords, Cathay Photo are good starting points.<br>

jaina</p>

<p> </p>