close-up with Elan2e and 380EX

monsak_pimsarn1

Hi Monsak,

The above answer tells the story - the flash will stop the action. You also have at hand CF #8 or #9 - I forgot, you have to check the manual - to set the shutter speed to 1/125 s. This combiation gives superbly exposed slides. (I use it with Sigma 105 EX Macro.) I attach a Sto-Fen Omni bounce and raise the head of the flash just a little bit above its click-stop position (then it resets to 50mm vs 105mm) which probably further softens and diffuses light. I am almost sure though that the 105mm setting will work fine. I get evenly lit macros. No flash exposure compensation is necessary with midtoned subjects (which is not the case with fill flash where my camera-flash combo tends to overexpose).

And the flash is mounted on the hot shoe.

Ivan

Okay. Any movement is easily stopped because most of the light illuminating the subject during exposure is from your flash, which fires for not more than 1/1000 of a second. But for the flash to work this way, you'll need to close the aperture enough so that even at a shutter speed of 1/60, there won't be enough light reaching the film to cause prominent blurring from camera shake. How much aperture depends on the amount of ambient light available. Usually I don't think about all this. I use f/16, shutter at 1/60 or 1/125 and everything in full manual since TTL will decide exposure. Flash is on a dedicated cord.

At the typical apertures you need for minimal depth of field in close up work (f/11 is common), having too much natural light is rarely the problem. I highly doubt he would need anything like 1/4000 of a second. However, Monsak said he is using aperture-priority, which is the equivalent of slow-sync in the Canon system. So, without compensation the camera is automatically balancing flash and ambient for a 1:1 ratio: a prescription for image blur at slower shutter speeds.

Monsak, what you need to try is to use the 'M' mode to set your aperture manually to f/8-f/11, and choose a shutter speed of 1/125. Then, in most cases with slower films, your flash will become your main light source and camera shake will not be a problem. Alternatively, leave your camera on 'AV' but dial in -2EV or greater exposure compensation. This will retain some ambient light as fill but allow your flash to freeze the action.

If you are in a really bright light situation you may have to use the high-speed sync feature on your strobe. Although your GN is reduced, your stobe is typically only a foot (or three) from the subject and therefore you should be within exposure range.

Hi all;

First of all, thank you so much for the helps. I finally find that if i set CF 9 to 1, in AV mode at every aperture the flash sync speed is always automatically set to 1/125. And i presume that this will give me the ,at least, correct exposure, please correct me if not true. So i understand that both background and foreground will be properly exposed. And for light breeze, this shutter speed would be enough to stop the motion.