Epson 4900 Media types problem

<p>Hi All,<br>

I have an issue with a G4 Mac (OSX 10.5) and CS4. I recently installed a new Epson 4900 printer. When attempting to print and accessing the Media Types in the Epson driver settings, many of the settings are grayed out and not accessible. Specifically, I need to use Ultra Smooth Fine Art as my media type. The only available, un-grayed out, choice is textured paper. We reinstalled the 4900 using the Epson setup disk and restarted the Mac. Still no success. Any ideas?<br>

Thanks for you help.</p>

<p>RB</p>

<p>do you print from Photoshop? Do you select the correct icc profile for the black ink you use? Depending of the black ink use at the time of your selection, some paper can or cant be acces.. also depending of the quality (720, 1440, 2880) some paper will also be or not accesible.</p>

<p>Thanks to Patrick and Alan for your responses. Well believe it or not it appears that the problem may be that we installed the printer on a non-Intel MAC. The 4900's instruction manual clearly says that an Intel Mac is required and of course, we didn't read it. Duh. If you go to the Epson site, the only drivers available for the 4900 are for Intel Macs. We need an upgrade anyway to a more powerful machine. Hopefully that's the problem. <br>

I'll write back after the new MAC comes in. </p>

<p>THanks!</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Robert,<br>

I just installed my Epson 4900 and found the same issue. The reason is that many of the paper types must use the 'Manual' feed and not the sheet cassette due to their thickness. Therefore, all papers with that requirement will be grayed out until you select 'Manual' feed.<br>

I am so impressed with this printer. I was fortunate to locate one of the last ones at Adorama for the ridiculously low price of $1099 and free shipping. I did download the latest drivers and configuration programs off the Epson site, and other than a few issues getting the Ethernet network to function with my iMac ... it was painless. I also bought the sample pack of the Signature Worthy papers and have fallen in love with the Exhibition Fibre and Hot/Cold Press papers.<br>

Enjoy ...</p>