good or not, but since my M6TTL is the only film camera I got, I need

to use it for "everything".

I don't plan to do a lot of tripod work, but I do want a full size

tripod around for those occational shots. Hence, I don't want a $400

Gitzo fiber tripod, but rather a suggestion on well working

lightweight tripod/ball that I perhaps can pick up used on *Bay or

something.

Recommendations?

You can't beat a Gitzo. As folks flock to the lighter carbon fiber models a lot of the older metal ones are available used. My 25+ year old Studex is still going strong, but I lost the smaller, older Reporter in a divorce. Just as a matter of interest, it's pronounced jee' tsoh, accent on the first syllable.

I don't like Gitzo. I had a couple of them and then got rid of them. I can suggest the Manfrotto 290, a fair-to-middling pod, light enough, big/small enough for all M purposes. I got to know it as it is the type they have and share at Solms' Akademie work etc. It costs less than half of what you mentioned. As a ball-and-head I like my Linhof Profi II, which costs almost as much again, but I find it perfect here.

Whether or not you like this/these, I still suggest that you look at the Leica tabletop pair as well. I have both pod-head-pairs and love and use both equally.

I use a little Bogen 3001 with the Bogen/Manfrotto 3413QR Ballhead. This is a fairly light(under 4 Lbs.), sturdy and inexpensive ($130 or so for the combo) tripod solution that works well with both my M and R cameras. I put black photo tape on the top leg section. If you want the best solution get the Gitzo 1227 CF with the Kirk BH-3 Ballhead and the RightStuff plate (about $735 total). Good luck!

20 years ago I got the compact version of the Leitz/Tiltall - long before I ever got Leica cameras. I've never felt a need to upgrade for anything else.

I mostly got it because it collapses small enough to fit in a carry-on suitcase (although I suspect in this day and age all those metal tubes would now cause panic when they showed up on the airport X-ray machines - =8^o). Fully extended with the center post all the way up it just reaches comfortable eye-level (I'm 5'10").

It's not extremely light-weight - but not excessive, either. It's black-anodized aluminum.

The nice thing is that the head screws off so that I could substitute a Gitzo (or other make) ball-head. I'm pretty sure the head on the full-size Tilt-All did not come off.

Velbon made/makes(?) a knock-off of the Leica table tripod - which is equally effective as the original most of the time.

I can barely remember the last time I used either, though.

Patrick,

I heartily second and third the Gitzos. I've owned Bogens/Manf. and they do have some ergonomic advantages, such as quicker locks. Good decent, inexpensive tripods. However, the build quality on a Gitzo is just outstanding. I've got a 1340, and a new carbon fiber equivalent. Love them both. 1340 is probably overkill for a Leica M6 though.

On ballheads, Kirk BH-3 is a great medium sized ballhead. For that matter, so is the BH-1, but you won't need it for the M6. I use the BH-1 only for medium format work. Kirk has quality construction as well as being just a good company to deal with.

Best regards.

I use a 5 year old Tiltall & a new Bogen/Manfrotto interchangably. No practical

difference btwn them. But I use a tripod only in extraordinary circumstances --

extreme low light, w/ a 135mm lens, or if I've just had too much coffee & I

absolutely can't risk the camera shaking.

I wouldn't spend a fortune on a tripod, frankly. Unless you're into unusual

Leica shooting, you'll rarely reach for the thing.

I think most of the tripods mentiond are overkill for your occasional use you described. When I need a tripod (seldom) I use some unkown brand from 35 years ago which works fine for me. I can go to almost any local camera store and find tripods for $50-75 which would be more than good enough if my ancient model got lost (seems like it aint gonna fall apart anytime soon).

Yes, the Bogen 3001 / Manfrotto 190 is not that light, but on the other hand your wallet isn't so after buying one either. I use mine with the 308 RC ball head which makes up a (in my eyes) perfect couple for the price (100$). Steady enough for my old Contax RTS with 400 mm lenses as well as old MF SLR gear with huge mirror slap, and it even holds a Leica M ;-)

OT-- Someone above mentioned the zip-on leg warmers for tripods. Much cheaper is to buy pipe insulation (available at any hardware or bldg supply store). It'll make your tripod legs easier to work with in cold weather and also allow you to comfortably carry the tripod over your shoulder.

• 2 weeks later...