System Exa - An Exa made by Rheinmetall, not Ihagee

JDMvW

<p><strong>System EXA by VEB Rheinmetall Sömmerda</strong><br /><br />In the mid 1950s, the East German camera industry had "big hits" and demand for cameras such as the Exakta, Contax D, and Prakticas was such that production capacity of the factories was strained, especially that of the Ihagee plant in Dresden. The Rheinmetall factory at Sömmerda was chosen to make up some of the shortfall in making a series of different cameras "licenced" from other East German manufacturers. Rheinmetall, for example, also made a 6x6 box camera called the Perfekta (see http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00SqfI). <br /><br />Among the most famous of the Rheinmetall sub-contracts or licenses (all among various "people's owned enterprises" or VEBs) was their production of a distinctively marked variant of the Exa camera called the "System Exa" from 1954. Remember that the Exa was designed as a sort of "Volks-exakta" -- a cheaper and limited SLR for those who could not afford the full Exakta camera. It was also used by many Exakta owners as a relatively inexpensive second body that would accept most of the Exakta accessories. Speeds on the Exa were limited to 150,100,50, 25, and B--set by a lever next to the rewind knob. Rheinmetall also made a Rheinmetall-marked waist level finder, but standard Exakta prisms and finders also fit.<br /><br /><br /><br />The Rheinmetall version was essentially the same as what is called version 1.2 of the Exa (<a href="http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/exakta/exa-serial.html">http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/exakta/exa-serial.html</a>). There seem to have been a number of minor variants, such as a form with chrome instead of black PC connectors. <br /><br />Lenses supplied were the Meritar 50mm f/2.9, the Meyer-Trioplan 50mm f/2.9 or the Zeiss Tessar 50mm f/2.8. The one presented here has the Zeiss lens, purely stop down.<br />The camera would accept most Exakta lenses (though not the long telephotos). <br />Quality control was perhaps not the strong point of Rheinmetall's production. Serial numbers run from 245265-271248, but only about 8000 are said to have been made. Mine is #255204 and is rare in that it is still working. <br /><br /><br />I had intended to get out farther afield on this lovely afternoon, but since I didn't get out until late, I took both my System Exa and another odd-ball Exa Ib, an Exa that takes M42-mount lenses, instead of the Exakta bayonet mount (about which I will post later) out to my old standard shooting locale-- the imaginatively named Campus Lake.<br /><br />The film as Walgreens ISO 200 color negative film, made in Japan by someone or other.</p>

<p>In the bottom picture above, you can see the lever selector for speeds 150, 100, 50, 25, and B.</p>

<p>This camera is rare, especially in working condition, but it was one of the cameras featured in my mid-fifties DDR internal catalog;</p><div>00XJd3-282091684.jpg.7ba9e1220f5060025a6905cc6949a067.jpg</div>

<p>Then there are some pictures taken on my usual afternoon walk. I had intended to go to a place I had photographed less, but got a late start on a fine early fall day.<br>

<br />The left picture shows forest leaves and the right picture shows the forest as it has been thinned out by our first-of-its-kind-anywhere "Super Derecho" windstorm and cleanups.<br /><br /></p><div>00XJd4-282091784.jpg.d8e7f282881c13ead310c7b2d5cde897.jpg</div>

<p>Even though the Exa was introduced a bit before my time (or least before I could remember) I do recall seeing ads in some of the back issues of Popular Photography and U.S. Camera that belonged to my dad. More and more I'm reminded that in the pre-Nikon days that Exakta was the system SLR of choice for many users.<br>

Great post and lots of information. Thanks, for sharing, JDM.</p>

<p>I used to own one, years ago, with a 50mm [Tessar], a 135mm [Zeiss, small] and an 80mm [Zeiss Biometar]. All of them produced very good pictures. The benches at the lake picture is beautiful, idyllic. I like even that little bit of softness in the corners; it adds to the perspective. Nice warm colours too! Thank you for posting. sp</p>

<p>Thanks all. I think the Tessar was the "best" lens offered with the camera. I've always liked the lens in all its mounts and configurations.</p>

<p>The camera is very "roly poly" in the hand and really feels pretty good, except that the film transport on this camera is actually from left to right (like most cameras <em>except</em> Exakta) but the shutter release button is on the left (so automatic Exakta lenses will couple, and because that's where Ihagee thought it <em>should</em> go). This makes it a little more awkward than the all-left Exakta to wind on the film, focus, and trip the shutter. Three hands would work out pretty well.</p>

<p>They're certainly a very purposeful-looking camera, JDM, and this is the first I knew of the Rheinmettal version. That's a nice pic of it beside the film pack, with all the techno-ornamentation visible. The Tessar seems up to expectations, and the location and generic film have provided some very nice images. Thanks for a further educational experience!</p>

What Steve just said is something I notive about all the "older" style Exa/KTAs. Sort of Art-Deco look! I really want one one day! Interesting the history of the Rheinmetall that seems to have nothing to do with the Rhein. I have an Exa 1a and what you just said roly-poly like! I like the "basic" ergonomics of both the Exa and Exakta! Although I'm not left-handed! The lack of consistency between the two models you mentioned and I too find a third hand with the Exa is pretty much right on. I think the older 50s Tessar like you mentioned a bit soft on the edges but still very nice in the middle is a great vintage lens.

Mine is M42, but otherwise same vintage. An M42 Exa eh? Hmmhh never seen that ! Sounds very cool! I often couple my 120mm Biometar with this..it's unbalanced, front heavy but a neat combo, I prefer the Exa body with it rather than the Exakta body!