What actions/technique are they using

tamara_fosher

<p>What I see in these photos are lots of flash, purposely overexposing the image and dragging the exposure back in post. The action or preset looks like one of the Totally Rad products. I have been working on shooting a little brighter myself. I using mostly prime lenses, exposing for the face and using high speed sync with my speedlights outside. I have purchased the Totally Rad presets for Lightroom and they are amazing. I rarely go to Photoshop. This look is very popular right now and perfecting it will, in my opinion, increase sales.</p>

<p>It looks like they used an on camera flash to supplement the lighting on their image. They are using it at or above the ambient light exposure to give a little harder, more contrasty look to the image. Then I think the contrast and saturation has been punched up a little in PS or LR. There are loads of plug ins, free and paid, that can do these kinds of things. But you don't need any plug ins, you can just play around in PS until you find similar effects. Look on line for tutorials that cover 'high contrast fashion look' or 'contrast boost'. Experiment and come up with your own look. It takes some time and practice.<br>

<b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net Terms of Use.</b></p>

<p>just go to totallyrad's site and they have a page dedicated to recipes...there are some there that look like the ones you listed and they tell you which actions they used.</p>

<p>and to chong, it is my impression that great photographers tell their postprocessing techniques if you ask them.. but there are a lot of "average run of the mill" photographers that don't like to tell... and more often these are also the ones that complain how newcomers are ruining their business. :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm sure Pepsi doesn't ask Coke for their formula.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Photographers frequently talk about techniques including here on photo.net. Many have tutorials. I wouldn't equate asking a question that might get an answer to a futile effort to uncover Coca Cola's intellectual property secrets.</p>

It's interesting that you like the blown out look. This really isn't something new, so you could do some searches and see a lot of photographers doing this. The technique is to over expose while you are shooting, sometimes having the people facing the sun, using a flash on every shot, and knowledge of using photoshop.

I think it's ok to do a lot of these shots at weddings, but you may also wish to focus on the bread and butter shots; the photos that always seem to sell. Such as bridal portraits, family shots, and so on.

Perhaps people may disagree with me and of course I would expect that to happen. From what you wrote are the upcoming weddings your first ones or have you been shooting for awhile? If these are your first weddings do some searches here just to make sure you are aware of what to expect. For example having the bride and groom, along with the parents, give you a list of must have shots. If you do these must have shots you've made everyone happy. For example some on the guests may have come from long distances, often overseas, mom's best friends, things like that. Most photographers hate lists and many don't bother with them. I don't like the lists either, but I feel we are hired to do a great job and often a list is needed.

<p>Maybe this is obvious to most people, but probably not everyone. The biggest effect going on here is the use of a wide angles lens. There is definitely some post processing as well, but if you have never seen a wide angle used in portraiture, its very cool. Maybe I am missing the exact nature of the question, but that is what jumps out at me. Here is a post from my site where you can see both wide angle t 16mm and my normal work with a 50mm (5d mk2 - full frame camera)--www.kristyberendsphotography.com/2010/09/alyssa-and-kyle-wedding-grand-rapids</p>