Road to Crystal Mill

tom_graham1

<p>I am looking to travel to Crystal Mill some time over the next few weeks, and am looking for current information about the road from Marble to Crystal. There seems to be much information posted on the web about traveling from Marble to Crystal via Loast Trail Road (Lead King Basin). This sounds like it is the more popular jeep route, so there is more posted about it. <br>

I am looking for the simplest route to Crystal though. It appears that County Road 3 is the easier route. I do not have a 4WD vehicle, and am willing to hike from Marble to Crystal and take pictures along the way. We just did Longs Peak one week ago. Is County Road 3 passable without 4WD? If I do park and hike, I have been looking at parking at either Beaver Lake or Lizard lake. Does anyone have any advice?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>CR 3 (I didn't even know the road number until you made me look) is the main approach, which is also the easiest. This road is a 2WD road requiring moderate clearance. The only time I use 4WD is for engine braking on Daniels Hill at the very beginning on the way down; it's not necessary for traction purposes. As for current information, the road really hasn't changed over time, so there won't be any news on that. I've been meaning to post the full-length, ~35-minute video of the drive on my site since spring to give potential travelers a better idea of it, but haven't gotten to it yet.</p>

<p>As with most mountain roads, if you get to a point you're not comfortable in driving further, back up until you find a pullout to park or turn around. I know Subarus have been seen going up this road, and I saw an Outback after Lizard Lake on a trip here this spring. The likes of a Ford Escape, for example, would be sufficient on this road and would be better suited than the likes of an Outback. Tough to make a solid recommendation without knowing what you have.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information. My vehicle is a Hyundai Accent wagon. I live in Wyoming and am not unfamiliar with such roads. Sounds like we'll take the advice to take a look and back up if it gets too bad. I don't mind an adventure, but won't be stupid either. From what I'm able to see from looking at a topo map, I'll probably set a goal of Lizard lake. Looks like there is a place to park there, and the hike looks like a pretty flat 3.5 miles after that point.<br>

<br />I'll also ask if anyone has any advice on the best time of day to photograph the mill (powerhouse). I was planning on late afternoon from what I was able to see on the maps.</p>

<p>It doesn't hurt to ask if anyone has an estimate as to when the peak for foliage may be.</p>

<p>Thanks again </p>

<p>I would suspect Lizard Lake would be the furthest you'd want to drive. There is a pullout on the far end of the lake before it goes over and downhill immediately after.</p>

<p>The shadows start to encroach in the pool below around 4:30. So, around 4:00 is optimal with light on the structure, otherwise if you're good at blending, then you won't be as limited.</p>

<p>I think the trees immediately behind go a touch earlier than the rest in the area. While I've not shot here but maybe a couple times around peak color, the 27th-30th would be the range I'd suggest planning for. I can't find any of my digital snapshots at the moment to confirm the date stamps. Perhaps someone else can confirm, but if not, those dates should be close to spot-on.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to visiting this location. We will be there next weekend, the 25th and/or the 26th. We were in the Medicine Bow National Forest just outside of Laramie yesterday. Many of the aspens had changed, but it looked like they were probably about a week away from peak. We were at 8400 feet and about 150 miles further north than Crystal. Timing is never certain, but it looks like our chances may be good for some decent color.</p>

<p>One of my sons would like to visit Maroon Bells one of the mornings. We'll have to see...</p>