Bridal Shows, Are They Worth The Money?

richardsnow

<p>Hello everyone, I've got a few questions regarding Bridal Shows, but first and foremost is the question:</p>

<p><em><strong>Are Bridal Shows Worth The Money?</strong></em><br>

Bridal Shows in my area range in cost from $600 - $1200 based on location of the event and booth size. Additionally, cost of advertising materials, booth setup, and time (I can't book a wedding on the weekend of the show if I have to be there...) bring overall costs to $2500-$3000.</p>

<p>I understand that the <em><strong>potential </strong></em>clientèle from a well executed Bridal Show far outweighs the cost, but for someone making the attempt to go full-time, it's quite the expense for little more than potential.</p>

<p>So, from your experience, is the cost of a Bridal Show worth it? </p>

<p>Okay Richard, I'm a full time photographer, I also get a large percentage of my current clients from these shows. If your asking about "little more than potential" isn't that the crux of all marketing and advertising? There is no guarantee, no sure fire thing to make it work.</p>

<p>What a Bridal show doesn't do is show your work as the best in the world, because there are tons of other photographers there who do work equally as nice as yours, some with booths (I was at one this past weekend) that make you green with envy, and others who really don't seem to know what they want to present.</p>

<p>First rule of thumb, go to one, see what you like, what you don't, it's as much sensory overload for the vendors as well as the attending, so you will get to see what they see in much the same way. Then plan how you want to come across to the "potential" client. Remember they are as overwhelmed and need something to remember you by. False cheer and interest is spotted a mile away. Detached and uninvolved handing over of a price list and business cards whilst standing in front of a few albums isn't very moving either.</p>

<p>You have to SELL RICHARD SNOW...I would put it in bigger caps if I could. This is a service industry, show them some service, you can't possibly book everyone, so if you find yourself talking for a long period of time (more than 5 minutes) to a person, remember they are interested in what you have to say, don't rush them along, allow others to hear you.. and be caffeinated!!</p>

<p>Seriously, of the 50+ weddings I'm doing this year (2010) all north of the median wedding photographer cost in my area, I would promise you roughly 75% come from the bridal shows.<br>

They meet me, and they remember me, not a piece, though I try not to always have the conventional bridal portrait in place because that really gets lost in the crowd no matter how good. I go for a really funny or moving picture or portrait that will stop people in their tracks.<br>

I say go for it, the right way.<br>

Good luck</p>

<p>Daniel,</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick response. I don't think I'll have a problem selling myself...I'm in sales now and understand that it's not always about the best product, but more about the best person to buy said product from.</p>

<p>The 75% from Bridal Shows are the type of numbers I'm looking for. I've been talking to a few local pros recently and some swear by Bridal Shows and others say they're a waste of money. Right now I guess I'm trying to get in front of as many potential clients as possible so maybe a few Bridal Shows are the way to go.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input...other opinions and suggestions are welcome<br>

RS</p>

<p>Richard, I will say that there is a consistent demographic that goes to some Bridal shows over others. What that demographic is is dependent upon well all sorts of things.</p>

<p>For instance, if there is no admission fee. Anyone can walk in looking for the best deal, their commitment level is lower because they haven't had to invest anything, however small.</p>

<p>Another is that for those who find it a waste of money, I can't speak for them, but every pro I know here who does well at the shows, does well because of that personal connection. Those who just stand..well, they tend to sit on a lot of Saturdays.</p>

<p>Certainly there is price, I don't print out price lists, I just know my starting collection number. If they ask, I tell them, and they will beat a hasty retreat if it's beyond them, nothing against budget conscious shoppers, but professional level work at anything must be a premium so that profession can flourish and prosper, but I don't think that's any news to you.<br>

Also, I just attended a seminar with Jasmine Star, who completely bootstrapped herself from absolutely nothing to being one of the 10 most sought after wedding photographers in 4 YEARS!<br>

Is she a flash in the pan? Not really as she tries to connect to her clients, does she think she's the best photographer who charges more than $10K a wedding, nope and she says it often. What she does is connect with the clients. She's young, pretty, and newly married and shops where they shop, and listens to what they listen to, and understands them. The connection is almost instantaneous. I'm sure neither you or I could become 26, female and 5'1", no matter how hard we tried, but we can connect in other ways.</p>

<p>Where is your market?<br>

D</p>

<p>I'm 26, female, and 5'1 perhaps that puts me in good standing :P<br>

Daniel do you not offer collection prices at all then? So, if a bride were to want more information on sample collections that you offer, would you advise them to contact you at such and such date and time (or vice versa)?<br>

I have also been back and forth about the bridal show idea. But, as Richard mentioned, it is a great deal of money to put up front. I would first need clientele to be able to put the money aside for the bridal show. Oh, the Catch 22.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've been doing wedding shows for the past 3 years, working a couple of different ones to see the response. What I have found is that I'm in the upper mid range for price in my market, and for the most part, I don't get a ton of bookings from the show, at least not immediately. I see a big increase in traffic to my website, and I get a lot of emails from potential brides, but my price seems to be too high for the majority of people who frequent these shows. <br>

So why do i keep going? As was mentioned above, it is a great chance for me to get in front of 2500 brides in one day, and get some exposure. I have seen it build over the past 2 years, to the point that people recognize my name a lot more than when I first started.<br>

The other reason I like the shows, is that it connects me with other vendors. There is so much more respect from them when you are a fellow vendor, that it is easy to discuss things, meet for coffee, and share with them. And i do find that it helps for attracting business and giving out referrals and building up your profile.<br>

For me, it's been really beneficial. And, I have always booked enough work to more than cover the costs to.</p>

<p>As a professional salesman who has spent months in convention halls across the country, I can share a few tips with you. Do your selling AFTER the show. Take the client name and contact info down, or better yet, have someone do that for you. Spend just a few minutes qualifying your prospect as to what they're looking for in order of importance (Quality, budget, availability) etc. Don't give out the marketing collateral unless you have to. Most flyers, cards, etc get tossed into the trash or mixed up with all the others. In short, you loose any individual rapport you developed as you get confused with all the other guys, plus you're out of the cost of the marketing material. Once you get the basics and spend just a minute or two let them know you'll give them a call and set up a time when you can further discuss their wedding where you can then provide portfolio examples and discuss costs. Prepare a fulfilment package that includes a well presented dvd portfolio and/or marketing card, link to your website, and special offer. Call and schedule an appointment to coincide with reciept of the fulfilment package. Remember, you don't have to get every wedding, you just need to make money on the ones you get. Trade shows selling is perhaps one of the most misunderstood concepts in sales. Get as many leads as possible period. The most basic information - who, what, when and where are all you need. Trying to sell your services at the convention center is a mistake on two fronts:<br />1. Sensory Overload - Your client isn't focused on photography, rather, they are just getting started in their planning process and are "gathering information". Most of what you talk about will be forgotten the minute they walk out of your booth and visit the next booth. They will soon forget which photographer they really liked.<br />2. Too Much Detail = Lost Opportunity - Who cares what colors the wedding will use or what the center pieces look like - every minute you spend saying "that'll look really nice with the groom's tie" is a minute that you can't get the next name and details needed to schedule a sales meeting. Worse yet, it's very hard to break away from a detailed conversation without apprearing rude, and its rude not to say hi to the other people walking into your booth.<br />Trade shows exist to build leads, not to do the selling. The one on one sales meeting will be much more productive than the noisy trade show environment of the convention hall. Again, make your sales efforts count. I would much rather walk out of a show with 150 prospects who need a photographer than 1 booked sale at a "tradeshow price". I'm confident in my ability to set the appointment and convert the lead into a sale in a situation that will be in the best intrest of both me and my client. If you don't agree with all I've suggested, that's ok, just look in the trash cans and see how many cards and flyers are there or left on chairs....</p>

<p>Bridal shows are definitely worth the time, money and effort. You have the change to meet your potential clients and WOW them with your personality, customer service and display. That can many times help a bride decide to pick you over another photographer. And like Mark said, focus on making an impression and selling later. </p>

<p>Robert Evans recently spoke at San Francisco PPGBA. <br>

He has a video of himself on his home page talking about his approach to weddings. <br>

Some people book him because of that video. <br>

I asked one of our local shoes for information about where their attendees came from. <br>

No data. I didn't sign up.</p>