I am new to this forum, I am a professional wildlife and nature

photographer residing in Alaska. I will be traveling to Yellowstone,

In Jan or maybe Feb. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I love

both the animals and the scenics, so bring on the information! At

present, I am planning about a 6 day stay. Thanks folks

Welcome to the forum.

There are already four or five existing threads on yellowstone

in winter in the database. Please do a

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-search-form.tcl?topic=Nature%20Photography">search</a>

with "yellowstone winter" as the text and you will find them. You may find some or all of your questions

answered already!

Randy,

Having lived in Southeast Idaho recently, both Yellowstone and Grand Tetons were daytrips for me. If you do travel in January, make sure you are dressed warmly, because it does get quite cold. The humidity is low, but there is still a danger of lens fog-up.

I wanted to go cross country-skiing while there, but friends advised me that snowmobile is the only way. That's the route they took (out of West Yellowstone, MT) and were apalled to see about 1000 snowmobiles clustered around Old Faithful. If you are still game, go during an off-day (no holidays). You can rent these machines, along with heavy parkas and pants, for about $100-150 per day. Go with a friend (significant other, hopefully), because it gets lonely there quickly. By the way, Yellowstone closes down to ALL traffic sometime in early March.

You might want to try X-country skiing at nearby Harriman (Idaho) State Park, just south of Island park. That was my favorite spot, because some of the streams and waters do not freeze. THIS IS A GREAT BIRDWATCHING AND PHOTOGRAPHING RESERVE. Bring your own skis, either rented in West Yellowstone, or in Idaho Falls (about 75 miles south). I fell in love with this place during my first ski trip there. Again, go with a partner - these places are no place to be should trouble arise.

It is definately wise to check the weather conditions before you leave. January and February can bring temperatures 40 below zero without the windchill factors. Jump on a snow mobile and your temperatures drop very fast with the windchill. West Yellowstone is a very good place to rent a snow machine, and you will have to check out "two top" while you are there. It is going towards Idaho. I grew up in Idaho Falls, and it gets very cold there, but yellowstone is always colder. Definately avoid the Holidays, and make sure you call the park beforehand to make sure that the park is open. It closes at different times during the winter. I think you should also check out Teton National Park,and Jackson Hole Wyoming while you are there. In the summer, we can do the whole loop in a day (but we don't see the whole park, the northern parts are too far away). If you fly into Idaho Falls, take the time to go down by the river and falls in downtown Idaho Falls. It is frozen in the winter, but is very beautiful in the summer. Hope you have a good time in Yellowstone.

Randy, I was there last Feb and it was fantastic. If you can, stay in Gardiner, Mt. at one of the motels. Very reasonable compared to West Yellowstone and very convenient. Take a ride up to Jardine also.I saw two golden eagles up there and got a fantastic shot of the female! Not much snow in town(Gardiner)until you get up into the park. Go to Lamar Valley, the road is open from Mammoth to Cooke City. First day I was there I got some pictures of four wolves and saw wolves everyday except for two! Don't overlook Old Faithful. Rent a snowmobile and get away from the crowd. The only open road for vehicles, with tires, is from Mammoth to Cooke City like I said, so you won't need a snowmobile there. Lots of buffalo, coyote, elk, big horns, eagles and "SCENICS"! You'll have a great time. E mail me if you want more info. Mike