printing at 1400 dpi

<p>Hi, <br>

I am about to send printing a 37 x 93 inch digital picture in self-adhesive paper. The people in the store have told me that the resolution I can get printed is 1400 dpi.<br>

What I want to know is how should I save the photo I'm working in my computer. I'm working with a RAW picture, and what usually do is save them with 300 dpi. But I don't know what number to use at this case. Are the 300 and 1400 talking about the same "language"? Should I save it at 1400 dpi in my computer if I want it full quality?<br>

dpis are SO confusing to me... i'd appreciate your opinions.<br>

Thank you in advance,<br>

Ana Lucía</p>

<p>Something is amock. ie not right.</p>

<p>Many posters that are 39x93 images are often really just printed at 100 to 150 pixels per inch if pictoral. A wall map with dinky roads and text might be 300 to 400.</p>

<p>There is not a printer that prints 1 meter wide prints that can support an image at 1400 pixels per inch; maybe 300 to 400 tops for pictoral; 400 to 600 for CAD line work and ultrar fine mapping.</p>

<p>Your store sounds confused.<br /> <br /> go ask them again.</p>

<p>At 39x93 inches; an image at 100 pixels per inch is 3900 by 9300 pixels; big for a regular camera.</p>

<p>****What size image in A by B pixels do you have to print?</p>

<p>Try to think on pixels for the image; and pixels per inch for the print</p>

<p>Maybe the store is confusing "dpi class" of their 1 metre wide printer to its image input requirements. </p>

<p>A 1400 dpi class printer might accept 700 pixels per inch for single black lines; ie CAD monochrome work; and be about say 300 to 400 tops with pictures; ie pictoral work.</p>

<p>Most printers on earth really show little difference going about about 400 ppi for images; and 300 often will look the same as 400 with 98 percent of lookers; if a magnifying glass is used!</p>

<p> With a big image the only place here where high 400 ppi images are really required is for wall maps of big cities; with small streets!</p>

<p>just ask for the final resolution. printer terminology and ours is different. i asked a printer once how high they could print some brochures and the lady said 600 dpi. but when i asked more question what she really meant was 300 dpi horiz by 300 dpi vert. so she added the two. but to "us" we just go by 300 dpi.</p>

<p>PPI and DPI are two totally different things. <br>

Almost daily people write messages here confusing them. <br>

PPI is Resoloution of the image in the file you have. Increasing PPI, generally means no added resolution or quality, because it already includes everything you can see in the file. It will not increase the sharpness or add any detail, etc...<br>

DPI is Dots per inch used ONLY in printing.<br>

Many say use 300 DPI for printing, but that depends upon the _size_ of the image you want to print or saturation, etc.... Personally print all images on my 13" width printer at 1200 DPI, because the finished_image_looks_better to me. Your printer evidently things using a higher DPI for printing also looks better. Many other use 300 DPI, but they do that to save on ink, giving them a greater profit at the price they charge....</p>