EOS 5 batteries

jani_konj1

Jani,

I have 2 x EOS 5 bodies and although I have a VG10 grip I seldom use it. Batteries have not been a problem for me with the EOS 5 although I don't use the built in flash very often. For example last week I shot 17 films on a single battery and the battery charge is still showing OK.

Depending where you live its worth checking alternative sources of batteries. Here in the UK there is a mail order company that sells them for 2 pounds (3 dollars) each which is a huge lot less than high street stores.

Regards

Derek

Jani,

If I understand your question, you are implying the VG10 grip for the EOS 5 uses batteries. It does not. There is an external battery pack for the EOS 5 but I don't see a need for it unless maybe in extreme cold. Camera battery has never been a problem under most shooting conditions.

I have a review of the BP-5 in the EOS 5 review on this site. It is nice as a battery pack, but not worth the money by any means. I madea second one from material bought at a consumer electronics shop in the US, Radio Shack, for about 5 bucks. The hardest part is stripping an old battery to make the dummy battery.

Oh, an ordinary batteries are more than fine. I find they can last a really long time depending on your shooting style.

For an early nineties design the EOS 5 is extremely power efficient. I average about thirty-five 36-exposures rolls before the 2CR5 battery dies (some popup flash use, but not much). This would be excellent even for a new "power efficient" design. The EOS 5 was years ahead of its time and this one of the reasons this camera remained in production for ten years.

The VG-10 grip is wonderful: improves handling, and has a duplicate shutter, main dial, AE lock and AF focusing point button for vertical use. However, it depends on the camera's 2CR5 battery for power.

The BP5 is intended for cold weather use: clip it to your belt inside your coat to keep it warm. The downside is it requires the use of a powercord between the BP5 and camera.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter