k20d focus issues: k7 really that much better?

sfcole

<p>The most frustrating thing about my k20d is not focusing accuracy or even speed--it's the camera's need to think before it will fire. The lens focuses and stops moving, but an eternity seems to pass (especially with portraits) before the red square lights up and you can release the shutter (I only use center point focus on single-shot). I do have the latest firmware. The level of light doesn't seem to matter. This can happen in daylight. Since the Pentax is used mostly for portraits/weddings, I'm wondering whether the k-7 has solved this lag before I totally jump ship.<br>

thanks</p>

<p>Scott, how much is "an eternity?" 1/8 of a second? 8 seconds? I would be concerned if too much time is taking place. My DS fires instantly when the focus confirmation lights up. I can only imagine that a camera that is much newer with a greatly improved AF system would be better than what I'm getting... The only time it drags is when the camera is still writing to the card and the buffer is full.</p>

<p>-Jeremy</p>

<p>I agree. AF can be a hand wringing experience under marginal light settings...<br>

Beware of the pause between focus confirmation and SR engagement. If you are pressing the shutter when you see the 'red square', its quite possible that a shot is being taken before SR is in play.<br>

On my K-7, I found the 'red square' feature very distracting so I turned it off and turned on the AF 'beep" signal. <br>

Once I get focus confirmation via the 'beep,' I watch the viewfinder for the SR signal to show then (and only then) take the shot.<br>

Personally, I wish Pentax would change the 'beep' from AF to SR engagement confirmation. I would much prefer for the beep to signal SR is on and it's OK to fire away.<br>

Another trick is to not have the focus lock engage on half-press of the shutter. Once the scene is composed, sample the subject's focus with several presses of the AF button. Frequently, the AF feature will adjust ever so slightly on each press. When it stops adjusting, I feel pretty confident I have a solid focus lock, then I wait for SR to engage and take the shot.<br>

Cheers...</p>

<p>The answer is of course yes. But the unresolved question here is, what lens? As I said above, my 16-50mm could be brutally slow and even in good light. My Tamron 28-75 was very good even in poor light. FA50mm 1.4 was decent, as were most of my other lenses. I'm willing to bet, Scotts got an SDM lens attached and having this issue. I used a pair of K20D's for weddings over 2 years and it wasn't a huge issue most of the time.</p>