How high/low do you carry TLR?

matt_mitchell

<p>Just got the first Yashicamat model and everything seems great except a heavily scratched focusing screen. It came without a carrying case and neck strap so I connected a spare strap from a SLR. But I dont know how high or low to have the camera for normal photography (not use the "sports" finder") - at waist level or chest level for example? Or is it better to use the magnified finder thingy. sorry for dumb question, I am new to medium format and TLRs</p>

<p>I usually use the magnifier to nail focus, the camera is at chest level. However sometimes it is more confortable to compose at waist level. The sports finder image is upside down on my Rolleiflex's, so I rarely use that. You should experiment and find your comfort level for each shot.</p>

<p>When you are viewing the image from the waist and pop up the magnifier for close focus, you don't really need to put the magnifier right to your eye. you can see through it to something you want to focus on from the same viewing distance as your waist high view.</p>

<p>I pretty much always use the magnifier to focus because you can't really nail the focus from waist height. As a result I always carry the TLR in the palm of my hand and bring it up to my face to focus. My original Rollei strap had the camera hanging slightly under my chest. Its not nice to have a squarish hunk of metal slapping against your sternum as you walk...</p>

<p>You can also focus the camera as you want, then turn it upside down over your head to compose the shot. As long as you keep it the same distance from your body and are using an aperture with a reasonably long focal plane, it'll work. I have used this method many times with good success, especially for monuments with large crowds. I learned this trick from some old pros at the Taj Mahal. </p>

<p>I need to hold the little focus magnifier up to my eye to focus for close subjects, but for ones that are farther away, I can use the recommended focal distances etched on the camera's focus knob or infinity minus a hair's breadth of a turn. </p>

<p>I find the sports finder on my Yashica MAT 124 to be pretty inaccurate which isn't too much of a surprise. Maybe if I practiced it could be better. But I would say make sure you frame loose if you use it. It's too bad because sometimes I want the camera too be at eye level.</p>

<p>Oh boy. How one uses a waist level finder and magnifier is really dependent upon your eyesight. I can use the waist level finder and get pretty close to good focus using it, but I must bring the magnifier up close to for super critical focusing.<br>

<br /> Tom, don't fight the bifocals. That is a battle you cannot win. Believe me, it's not that bad and you'll adapt. Being ale to read without stretching your arms out to Mars is a good thing.</p>

<p>I've always used my Rolleiflex with my eye to the magnifier. You can easily see the entire screen, focus with great accuracy, and maintain a more pleasing point of view for human subjects. For wedding candids, I used it at eye level through the sports finder, focusing through the auxillary finder just below the peep hole.</p>