Hindu/Indian Wedding Tips?

alex_alvarenga

<p> Hey there people,</p>

<p> I will be shooting my very first Hindu/Indian Wedding this Saturday and I am very scared!!! Ha ha just kidding, I am far from being scared. I am very excited of being chosen to do it! This is a last minute booking, I have never met the couple, I was hired by the aunt and uncle. Since I mainly shot "Western" style weddings, I dont know what to expect. Can you guys give me some tips!! I would really appreciated it!!</p>

<p>It will be a 6hour gig!!</p>

<p>-Bodies-<br>

Canon 7D<br>

Canon T2i</p>

<p>-Glass-<br>

50/1.8 II<br>

24-105/4<br>

70-200/2.8 IS II</p>

<p>Flashgun:<br>

580EXII<br>

16 AA Rechargeables</p>

<p>4 8GB Extreme III CF</p>

<p><em>I am a Minimalist Photographer.</em></p>

<p>Oh, I hadn't even thought of the language thing - (when we shot a Hindu wedding, the siblings guided us through)! Good point! For us, the priest would also stop, say "Photographer!" and point. It was hilarious, and helpful.<br>

We were also told by every guest & family member, do NOT worry about getting in our way. Get the shot. And when the guests are milling around, talking, and enjoying themselves during the ceremony, it helps you not feel conspicuous for walking right up and standing 2 inches from the couple.</p>

<p>Personally, I would plan on throwing your minimalist style out, and photograph everything. While every couple wants GOOD photos, in my experience, this is a situation where quantity is also desired.<br>

When we realized that everything was being done in threes, a lot of our nervousness went out the window. There's PLENTY of opportunity to get that shot you may have missed slightly. Or to get the same thing with a different angle.<br>

Also, as it came across to us, you will not be hollered at, and no one will be insulted if you step onto the stage with the couple - but take your shoes off.</p>

<p>Good stuff from Maria - I mainly shoot Asian weddings (predominantly of the South Indian/Tamil variety)<br /><br />Just one extra bit to add: you'll need to work hard during the group photos session after the wedding ceremony as more often than not there'll be many to do in a short amount of time and the groups could get quite large. Maybe worth trying to get an idea of groups in advance from your client but the fact is much of the event will seem like organised chaos if the ones I shoot are anything to go by!<br /><br />70-200mm f2.8 gets the most use for me.<br /><br />Best of luck.</p>

<p>@Robert- Check, got the Uncle.<br>

@Maria- Haha that sounded like fun! Thanks for the "No shoes advice" ha ha hopefully my feet wont be stinky j/k. BTW What I meant by Minimalist is, I dont carry a lot of glass with me(When I used to shoot with the a900 I had every FL, and i was foolish enough to carry most with me, now i know what i need) just the big 3(most needed). but i wonder if i would be needing an 16 gb card?(Some video will be taken) The Uncle told me that it would be 6hrs but not all at once, there would be intermissions... So when the intermissions happen I can dump the Data onto my Mac.<br>

@Nadine- Thanks, I will do that tonight when i get home from school... I've also been scouring the internet for Advice, i just like hearing fellow shooters exp as well.<br>

@Ranjith- Excellent, will ask him again, he told me its just a small family wedding, "just the fam', Al, you know, just a small one." Because sometimes friends also come.<br>

@Nayeem- Will look into that, I will ask the Uncle how big the place is... But yes, most like I will need one...<br>

Thanks Everyone!! I am excited for the weekend and I still would appreciate the Advice, tips and Exp.</p>

Well first off don't take these events lightly. They require a lot of work. They love photo's. The more you take the better.

You really need to talk to the parents for the detailed event and take a look at where the event will be held.

The dresses, also known as sari's (spelling) are quite colorful with amazing jewelry. Often, actually almost always, their hands and feet are painted. The reason for telling you this is you really could use some sort of macro lens. I kind of like the 100mm Canon. You don't need the new style lens that around $1100, you can get a used older lens for around $400, new about $550.

Ask the parents about the wedding dress, or dresses. Also ask about an engagement party. The bride may change dresses 2 or 3 times, the wedding, the reception, and the goodbye.

Some of the food is also very colorful, along with religious statues.

More likely than not there will be people coming from different parts of the world. I've seen the families fly in musicians just for the event. Be sure to get lots of family group shots and keep asking if there are other people that need to be photographed.

Bring some business cards with you. If they like your work you will become part of the family. Loyalty is a big factor.

Normally I will shoot around 400 to 600 shots at a wedding. With Indian weddings 1500 shots per day is not unheard of. There's just so much to photograph.

I would also suggest using several lights, the 580 is fine for on camera, but you need to light up the reception.<div>00XEt6-277849684.jpg.e9aae3d244f2d7522af9c7f4f092f502.jpg</div>

• Like 1

Also, shooting in RAW is preferred, because you can dial in the colors and if you can't use flash during the service you will be able to balance the Kalvan color. I had to shoot these pics with stage lights only. I think most of the Kalvan temperatures ratings were 3200 or so. Don't shoot in auto.<div>00XEtk-277871584.jpg.d90960911464bf3be9d8218e52df7dec.jpg</div>

<p> Again, thanks everyone for advice!! Hopefully i dont sound like i am making light of the situation, I am really excited about it. Once i get "in the zone" its all business and about my clients(I loose thirst, hunger and fatigue to be honest). I just talked with the Uncle who will be my liaison. He shared with my his wedding DVD and WOW even though the quality of the video is not good, I am amazed how intricate and amazing an indian wedding is. At the end he asked me if my camera would do 2hrs of video to which i replied it wouldnt since i am a still photographer, and the camera is a still camera. what i do is capture the event and add video(5min) segments to the DVD. I told him if he wants just video we could rent a camera, and i would do it(with his guidance). He told me for most of it I could Tripod the video camera and take stills. We will be checkin in with each other until sunday. Sooo... I will be wearing two hats this Sunday....</p>

<p>Hey Alex, I don't think you sound as if you are making light.<br>

Things to know<br>

1. The elaborate paintings on the hands of the bride and female guests is the Menhdi, usually performed a couple days before ****the bride has within her elaborate menhdi patterns, the name of the groom, usually in English on one hand, and in Hindi on the other.</p>

<p>2. This wedding you will be expected, and often asked, to take a lot of snapshot formals..this isn't exactly the balliwick of a minimalist PJ photographer, but can result in a lot of print sales from the relatives, bring extra business cards with information on how to see the images.</p>

<p>3. When moving through the crowd be assertive but not rude, always a smile, you are to many the "ferengee" or foreigner in their midst.. Always ask, this is a culture that loves to be hospitable, and every mature woman is "Auntie" and every mature man is "Uncle" Placing hands together and greeting them will NOT be taken as making fun of them, but as an immense sign of respect. Remember this is a culture of a BILLION+ people, they are used to crowds, but despise bad manners.</p>

<p>4. You already know you are going to have fun, get used to having your world rocked by probably one of the most cheerful weddings you will ever do. Not to be in any way dismissive of other weddings, but a Hindi Wedding, especially a big one, absolutely one of my favorite things to photograph EVER!</p>

<p> <br>

So after all of the wonderful tips and me getting ready and excited for the event, i got a cancellation. Turns out they want video instead of Photography (I QUOTE: "<strong>We much rather have 'camcorder' quality than images, Indian people dont care about quality we just care about the video..</strong>.<strong>"</strong>) and then he started blaming me for not having a video camera? I told the guy, "<strong>From the get go I have stated I am a photographer not a videographer, my camera does some video(5-10mins at a time) but it wont do 6 hours straight, if you want me to do video you are going to rent one...</strong>" It’s just amazing how it changed:<br>

At the start<br>

-Ok we like your portfolio we want you to photograph and some video<br>

Next day<br>

-Can your camera do video? We want video<br>

Next Day<br>

-We just want video can you look for a CHEAP rental place? BTW We are going to need you both days but we can only pay you for one day...$250 is too much and we are not willing to rent a camera for you, cant you just ask your friend to let you borrow his…<br>

Next day..<br>

It’s your fault YOU don’t have a video camera! You really have to lower the price if you want a job from us… Since you wont be doing video we can offer $50 for both days…<br>

That’s where I drew the line!! I just said, “<strong>I AM A PHOTOGRAPHER NOT A VIDEOGRAPHER</strong>!”<br>

I didn’t go overboard on the reply because I have to keep my honour as a Photographer. Anyway I think it was for the Best. As soon as he cancelled I called another customer who told me to call her in case they cancelled…She wants me to redecorate he Wall with images of her Neighborhood!!</p>

<p>Easy come easy go!!</p>

<p> I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR BEING AMAZING AND SHARING THE EXPERIENCE AND TIPS!!! THIS PHOTOGRAPHY COMMUNITY IS AMAZING!!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hey Alex, so sorry to hear about this. I came across this post some time ago and came back today to see how you did with this Indian wedding.<br>

It's very unfortunate that you got wrong kind of people. Been an Indian myself I come across lots of Indian family and this are my tips how to deal with them.<br>

Make sure you give them list of things/services will be included in given price.<br>

Once they agreed to take your service make sure you take some deposit and state them that under any circumstances, it's non refundable. <br>

The rest of the payment must be collected before delivery. (trust me any form of credit will not be a good idea) If they wanna see your work, show it to them and after that tell them they will receive it after full payment.</p>

<p>In my case, I learned it hard way too. With one of the package I give clients master show for DVD (this is for both 4:3 ratio and wide screen) so when I went to give client the whole pack they said how about I get 20% off if I don't want this master show.. I have to then explain it to them that the price is fix either they want this or not and beside, the hard work of making the show and printing disc and all was already done. I don't see myself going to restaurant and say, how about if I don't use your cutlery do I get money off?</p>

<p>Anyway, I hope you are not going to put all Indians in one category. some of us are not so bad!! <br>

Good luck with feature jobs Alex,</p>

<p>Amit.</p>