referral

stephaniesaniga

<p>Keep it simple. Call the photographer and thank him for the referral. Use the opportunity to find out how you were selected and let him know that you would appreciate any other referrals he may wish to send your way. This is basic business networking. Keep him in the loop when you hear about things that would benefit his business model or have projects for which he is better suited. Sending wine etc for such a small project referral shows that you are not a true business person and can actually make you seem too grateful or desparate, both of which could shut down future leads.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Recently I did a job</em></strong> where the client was referred to me by another photographer . . .<br>

Hmm... <em><strong>I'll be thinking about this...</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>IMO: WRONG!</p>

<p>The impact and the effect is upon the <strong><em>rapidity of the response. </em></strong>NOT the value or the size of the gift.<br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

Etiquette demands the "Thank you” note is written immediately after the facility is provided: unless of course the next day is a Sunday and then we would wait until Monday . . . there is a lot to be learned from the Rules of Etiquette.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Sending <strong><em>wine etc for such a small project referral</em></strong> shows that you are not a true business person and can actually make you seem too grateful or desperate, both of which could shut down future leads."

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>

<br>

I disagree 100%

<br>

<br>

Spontaneous shows of gratitude are memorable.

<br>

<br>

Last Friday I had a Company Rep (who calls on me), tell me he was resigning.

<br>

We had a big gig on Saturday, for his company.

<br>

He called by with his girlfriend just “to see how I was going” even though he no longer represented the company for which I was shooting.

<br>

I excused myself and bought him a bottle of Champagne and suggested he and his girlfriend “make a night of it”. . . SHE CRIED.

<br>

<br>

Nothing is "TOO MUCH", if it is given sincerely.

<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>I also disagree that a gift makes you seem unestablished, especially if you manage to send a gift that is branded (say, a bottle of wine with a custom label for your studio or something).</p>

<p>However, gifts are most meaningful when they show you not only appreciate what you have been given, but have given thought to the show of thanks. Finding a way to give that business a benefit that is meaningful to them will go MILES farther than sending a generic gift. Letting them know you're reciprocating with referrals and a link, etc. are a given, but if you want to go an extra mile for them and thus encourage more referrals, find out what speaks to them specifically and will help further THEIR business as well. </p>