Question on Summarit f 1.5 filters

bennett_callow

<p>Curious to find out if someone might know when Leitz changed the 50mm Summarit f 1.5 filter type from a bayonet mount to the E41 screw mount. Also, I assume that a bayonet mount filter for the Summarit cannot be fitted to a lens configured for an E41 screw mount. Correct? Thanks in advance for any comments.</p>

<p>Strangely enough, I can use the same (screw-in, no-name, fleamarket find) lens hood on my Summarit and on my 90 mm CLE Rokkor - which is 40.5 mm filter thread. But with a mounted 41 mm filter on the lens (A new B&W E41, which fits perfectly), the hood doesn't fit anymore, So apparently, the filter thread on the Summarit does not comply fully to the "E41" standard... Just in case you were looking around for an aftermarket hood :-)<br /><br />Soeren</p>

<p>My point was that the 40.5 hood would fit perfectly when screwed into the "41 mm" filter thread on the lens, as would the E41 filter. But the hood would not fit the front thread of the E41 filter at all. So if you are looking for a hood (or filter) for a summarit 50/1.5, you might want *not* to dismiss 40.5 mm stuff without trying it on first.<br /><br />Paul, the B+W E41 filter was found used, I have to say. <br /><br />Soeren</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p> Bennett, glad you found my note an excellent reference. Mukul, thanks for linking to it. Sadly, I don't know when E41 was first used in the Summarit. I beleive it always was but I don't know for sure. Now some people take 39mm filters and bend the rings in three places to make them fit in 40mm lenses. That could be done here.</p>