Lens Problem?

Mankuthel

<p>I've been having some problems with my Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 for a few weeks now. My photos seem to over expose and I have to adjust the exposure each time by 2 stops just to get a photos right. I initially thought it was a problem with my camera - I have a D3. I reseted the settings and tried again but it made no difference. I tried my 70-200mm and I didnt have a problem. So I think it might be a problem with the 24-70mm.</p>

<p>I've attached two photos from my recent trip to Amsterdam. I took the following photos, so that I could ask you fine folks to help me understand what exactly is wrong :)</p>

<p>The photo on the left was taken at ISO-200, F/8, 1/200s, 0EV, matrix metering. The photo on the left was stopped down by 2 stops - ISO-200, F/8, 1/800s, -2.0EV, Matrix metering. Both the photos were stop at Aperture priority.</p>

<p>Am I mistaken by coming to the conclusion that something is wrong with either the lens or camera or I just take bad photos and it's my technique?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Anish</p>

<p>@ Shun,<br>

I tried the depth of field preview button and I think it works. I did a few test shots at F4, F8 & F16 and came up with the following photos.</p>

<p>@ Homer<br>

I did make sure I was on Matrix Metering when I first discovered the over exposed shots.</p>

<p>Many Thanks!!</p>

<p>@ John, I tried the same test in manual mode and I ended up with the same results in Aperture mode. I tried my 50 1.8 and ended up with similar results as the 70-200. As Shun mentioned suggested, I tried the depth of field preview and my aperture is not closing down properly - I guess that explains it.</p>

<p>Put your D3 in large spot metering mode, then use the + or - exposure adjustment.</p>

<p>Matrix metering measures the entire scene, it (the D3 in-camera computer) does not know what area you want + or - compensation used in...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>From the original two pictures in Amsterdam, it looks like it is cloudy so an exposure of ISO 200, f/8 and 1/200 shutter speed sounds about right, maybe a bit underexposed. If the aperture lever on the lens fails to stop down, it would have stuck at f/2.8, causing the overexposure. By manually forcing an underexposure by -2.0EV, it brought things back to sort of normal. This is definitely a lens problem.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot guys.<br>

I'm sending in the lens tomorrow to be fixed. It's a pity that I missed out on couple of opportunities in Amsterdam, especially when it stopped raining. I am going to Iceland later this month and I would be absolutely gutted if I had this problem then!</p>