black and silver chrome version) during 1960's-1980? And how many

recently-discontinued black plastic viewfinders (12012) were made

relative to the 21mmF2.8 Elmarit? I gather there are more lenses made

in this focal length than the viewfinders. What's the rationale for

this production disparity in the viewfinder-to-lens ratio? One seems

to find 21mm lenses more readily available than the equally-needed

viewfinder, especially SBKOO. After all, it does not make sense to

use one without the other.

It might also have something to do with people who owned the M2 M3 or M4 who may have owmed other focal length lens. For which no frames were available using the universal finder. I posted a photo of HBC a while back he had a universal finder mounted on his Leica. Also the front glass is soft and flush mouated in the old metal 21mm finder and easily damaged You can kiss it good by if you drop it ither on or off the camera. Leica press mounted the fromt eliment and it is almost impossible to remove so they can not be repaired or cleaned. People may have just disgarded them.

Dear Paul,

I am kicking myself for not buying the used Leitz 21mm VF for 16,000 yen in Osaka a few months ago. It went quickly.

Why Leica discontinued this lovely finder I do not know. What you do have now is their 28,24,21 zoom finder. I have one. It is squinty and not robust. Mine developed a wobble between the base and the finder which I fixed with bond.

There are a few alternative choices. Avenon (Adorama) comes in silver and black. Not bad. The finder with the VC 21/4 is super. You can order it separately for $150.00 from Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest. The VC rightangle finder with 21mm attachment is niffy too.

Best,

Alex

The best finder of this focal length range might be the Russian (or Soviet?) one sold with the 20 mm Russar screw-mount lens. The square finder is really robust and surprisingly good optical quality. It has a chrome-plated or maybe even stainless steel foot.

The 21 mm Leitz chrome and black finders are very popu;ar with collectors, which has driven up the price to the $ 400-500 range. A large number of these finders have been sold into Japan over the years. Also, these are small items, so I expect thagt a number of them may have been lost long ago. You can expect the plastic finders to start getting scarce, since Leica has officially discontinued them.

Leitz made a specially modified 21mm finder in about 1960 that was marked "Brooks Plaubel Veriwide 100" for the camera by that name. The Veriwide had a 47mm f/8 Super Angulon and made seven pictures on 120 roll film, each frame measuring 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 inches (6x10 cm). The camera also had a wire frame finder, and many were sold without the Leitz optical finder. Some people later bought 21mm finders for them. I don't think the bright line frame was any different between the two versions, just the engraving. I bought a Veriwide a couple years ago with a 21mm finder on it. If you think a used 21mm finder is expensive you should try to buy the much rarer Veriwide version!