Watermark on Photos?

jose_rivera9

<p>My wife and I are having a discussion on whether or not we could put our watermark (discreetly) in a corner of the framed photos or not. <br>

I believe it would be great (kind of like an artist on his/her work) marketing for their family and friends. Please give me some insight.</p>

<p>Jose</p>

<p>Fine artists don't put watermarks on their images.</p>

<p>If you go to galleries, you'll notice that fine-art prints are usually stamped, blind-embossed or signed on the mat. Any of these is perfectly acceptable and, if the artist is famous, is a welcome sign of provenance. But defacing the actual image area with a logo watermark is generally less welcome.</p>

<p>Of course, what you choose to do is up to you - your prints, your clients.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input. I checked the past post but that was about putting the watermark on the DVD with the printable files. I was asking about the framed portraits. I have decided against putting the watermark on the portraits because there doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether to do it or not.</p>

<p>I prefer not to watermark images, but suprisingly there are many, mostly would-be-models who feel that a logo gives a picture a more professional look. I try to advise against it, but many insist and want the logo on the image. When I do apply the mark, I do it so that it is the least objectionable to me.</p>

<p>Jose, still try a search to get more info like this: <a href="../business-photography-forum/00VRdf">http://www.photo.net/business-photography-forum/00VRdf</a></p>

<p>There's a huge difference between watermarks on an image which generally help to identify the studio source and indicate copyright and a discrete studio "signature" which identifies the studio and implies that it is a professional work. This is found most often with large professional portraits like you would get from a studio like Olan Mills. If you are providing a large frame wedding image to a venue where it will be on display most studios will either put a studio stamp/signature in the bottom corner of the print or a nameplate on the frame.</p>

<p>Fine art photographers do sign their work but most of the time it is signed ( and often numbered) in the bottom corner of the mat. It's also common for well known photographers to sign their prints at the client's request.</p><div>00XCAx-275451584.jpg.33270dcef81d13fa966e0c50aa163afb.jpg</div>

<p>Jose, many shops would consider it very appropriate to put a discrete signature on the large prints. Be careful not to confuse a signature or brand mark on a print with a watermark. Water marks are typically of reduced opacity and are there primarily to prevent copy/theft. Also, be sure to look at the local studios in your area and region to see what they are doing and get a sense of local norms. It's also a good idea to network with local pros for mutual marketing and learning. Good luck.</p>

<p>yeah, As a painter I sign MY paintings. But for my clients wedding pictures I don't do it. Its their memories after all and they have my card, my email, phone number, website printed on the disc and I use modern social networking by posting their pictures on facebook, which they dag for all their friends to see and then instantly they all visit my site, instead of trying to read some small print on a picture and track me down. Photography is an art but it is their memories. I Actually advertise that I do not put any logos or water marks on their pictures and buisness is pretty good so it must be working.</p>