getting back to professional photography - which camera to buy

c_vogt

<p>Hi There,<br>

I am getting back to the game of shooting weddings and portaits (and some sports) after a few years off making a family.<br>

I am looking for input on camera selection. I am looking at D700, D3X, and D3S. I am not super knowledgeable at this point on the difference between these three (other than the basic differences) and would be open to other options. Would I ever be able to tell the difference between 12 and 25 megapixels? I would greatly appreciate opinions and comparisons on these or others for the purposes I will need it for. I am wondering if if the 5 or 7K for the 3's is really necessary and important. I am not super-techno and want a camera that will be easy to use but provide excellent images. I want to provide the best possible product for my client, but don't want to spend more money than I need.<br>

I am also looking for recommendation on lenses. </p>

<p>Any wedding photographers out there?? What nikon do you use?<br>

Thank you, thank you!</p>

<p>Here's my 2 cents -</p>

<p>I'd get a D700 and a D300 for backup and then put the price difference into some really good glass.</p>

<p>or maybe even 2 D300's.<br>

D700 is a baby brother to the D3 - D3s has video (which neither the D300 or D700 offer) and D3x is 25 megapixel. (unless you're doing wall size blow-ups - 12 mp is plenty.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Keeping it all full frame, I'd picked up a D700 and 24-70/2.8 plus a SB-900 to start. You'd have enough left over for the CF cards, extra batteries, camera bag, etc. Having said that, if you are in no rush now, might be a good idea to wait after Photokina coming up in case of a D700 replacement/upgrade announcement. The extra ISO stop or two of the D700/D3s has more practical use in weddings than the higher megapixels. The 24-70/2.8 I'd say is a given. After that depends on your style. Go wide with the 14-24/2.8 or 16-35/4 or go long with the 70-200/2.8. Also budget for a backup body. If money is tight while you start up your business, rent a spare body as needed for your assignments. Same with the extra glass. </p>

<p>You may do better with a D300 for sports. The AF sensors cover more of the viewfinder area and it is the same module as the D700. I have read many wedding photographers use a 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 zooms. Except for the weight I am very happy with the D700 body, I don't believe you would see any quality difference compared to the D300 under 11x14 prints.</p>

<p>I would suggest you get a low mileage D3 if you have any interest in backups (the D3 has dual memory card slots) and Nikon's 24-70mm lens. The D3 also has a faster frame rate than the D700 which is useful for sports.</p>

<p><em>"D300 for sports. The AF sensors cover more of the viewfinder area" </em> I often shoot sports and have never found the D3's placement of the AF sensors to be an issue. Additionally, the D3 focuses noticeably faster than the D300, especially when using 51pt 3D mode. </p>

<p><em>"Would I ever be able to tell the difference between 12 and 25 megapixels?"</em> Depends on the size of the prints and how close you are looking at them. For many/most situations IMO based on my use of the 5D MKII, not really but there are always exceptions. The D3X is more suited to low ISO studio work.</p>

<p>With regard to Carl's post, please keep in mind that the 17-55mm is a DX and not FX lens.</p>

I haven't found anything I can't do with a DX camera and get good results and the 17-55/2.8 is an exceptional lens. Having been where you are, that lens along with an 80-200/2.8, a good 300 and a pair of D300's will do the job. You'll also need plenty of memory, an SB800 or 900 and a back up for it. There will be some software needed and assorted small items. A good bag and some camera straps that aren't neon advertisements for Nikon. I'm sure I've left several things out but you'll figure it out as you go. Happy shopping.

Rick H.

<p> Probably when thinking of spending wheelbarrow's full of money the thing to do is take two tylenol and lay down for a while. Don't forget the kids need to go to college. I work with a wedding pro. He shoots everyweekend and does not make enough to pay for his pixels.</p>

<p>D3S is the ultimate wedding camera in my opinion, but pricey. I'd skip the D700 and consider the D300S if I were you. D300S has dual card slots, great for a backup, as does D3S. D3S has incredible high ISO performance, a stop better than D700 too. You could shoot at ISO 6400 all day and it would look excellent.</p>

<p>How many megapixels you should go for depends entirely on how large your prints will be. As long as your portraits won't be life size, I doubt you _need_ 25MP.<br>

When you get down to the point of comparing specifications in detail and street prices, I'd recommend a comparison engine. You can see a <a href="http://www.toomanydigitalslrcameras.com/compare/?camera[]=7810&camera[]=7809&camera[]=7812">comparison of the D700, D3S and D3S at this link</a>.</p>

<p>Any camera from the D300 to the top D3 will give you excellent results (the D90 actually would too). If you go with a full frame (D700 or D3), get the 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8. If you go with the D300 Dx frame (APS-C), go with a 17-/50/55 f/2.8 and Sigma 50-150 f.2.8 and Nikon 70-300 VR for the sports part (and push the ISO to 1600 or more). I'm a die-hard Dx type guy for the weight and price.</p>

<p>Wouldn't recommend D90 for weddings. It has a smaller buffer, so multiple shots in RAW could run into a buffer overflow and you'd have to wait. Also AF isn't as good as D300, and you need fast AF for weddings. I can't tell you how many shots I missed because my N90s was hunting for focus. I wouldn't shoot a wedding with anything less than a D300.</p>

<p>Hi all,<br>

Thank you all for your 2 cents.<br>

I am narrowing things down to D700 and D3S. Trying to figure out if the difference in price is truly worth it. <br>

For sports I am shooting mostly windsurfing.<br>

Any ideas about the cheapest place to buy?<br>

Thanks again!</p>