Ideal studio size for my lighting needs

anesh

<p >Hi. Please help. I am currently shooting in a cramped space (about 20x14ft). I am busy planning a studio to be built in my business premises. I take portraits and full length shots but no groups. I use manfrotto autopoles and seamless paper and my primary light is an Elinchrom 74" Octa Light Bank. I also use use smaller softboxes such as the 53" Octabox. Considering my lighting and photography what would be the ideal size studio? Thanks.</p>

<p>Go for the largest space you can afford. A minimum of 2500-3000 sq feet is a nice number, for starters. <br /> IMHO, some of the key considerations, aside from floor space are, (and in this order): <br /> 1) Ceiling height - 12-14 feet. If your existing space doesn't offer at least 11 feet, I would move.<br /> 2) Adequate electrical service entry/electrical outlets - 110v & 220v <br /> 3) Storage area or room for equip, props, costumes, wardrobe, etc...<br /> 4) Access to some natural light (more the better)<br /> 5) Adequate and reliable HVAC<br /> Having a front office/reception area, two restrooms, w/separate changing rooms,<br /> a rear loading-dock-type area, or a garage door...that would be icing on the cake.<br /> Parking?</p>

<p>Marc</p>

<p>Funny thing, I would kill for that much space at this time. OTOH, my proposed studio is 10 x 5.5 metres (32 x 18ft) Not including a dressing room, small kitchen and storage area. Total building will be 20 metres long. These dimensions are used because of standard steel sizes and owner building. <br>

The other thing is that this size is just slightly bigger than the studio at the local college, which, after using it, really is more than adequate for portraits. The real trick is to allow enough height to allow the use of an over head lighting system. My plan is at least 3 metres high with a sliding track system, this saves a lot of floor space. <br>

Of course it really is pointless to ask others as their needs will seldom match yours. Your best bet is to visit some studios and steal the ideas that you feel will suit your needs. <br>

Above all else, have fun.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you did not have a studio already I could understand your question but you have a working studio now so you already have a feel for size and know your limitations. The answer at this point is go for what you can afford. It is always better to have more room than less.</p>