Pentax 67ii or Fuji 6x9

grant_harris2

<p>Although I love my Nikon Digital camera I would like to get back into film photography.<br>

I was previously a Bronica ETRSi user so am familar with 120 film.<br>

My primary use will be street photography, so which to use Pentax 67ii or Fuji 6x9?<br>

I will be shooting black and white only.</p>

<p>Just about any 6x7 or 6x9 will be fairly large, the Pentax is the largest. The bigger the camera the more attention it will attract.</p>

<p>Fuji made some compact 6x4.5 cameras that were excellent for street photography, including a folder. Failing one of those I'd go for the RF Fujica 6x7 or 6x9. I have one of the latter but I use it for land and seascapes.</p><div>00XAsX-274335584.jpg.1daf9c5c98c044518fb69e9ea9003625.jpg</div>

<p>As said above, these are very different cameras.<br>

If you want to be more discrete and don't mind not having interchangeable lenses, then maybe the Fuji is better. The P67II is pretty heavy, its loud and very noticeable. You don't even need to take a picture to get people staring at you. As a street only camera (for those candid type people shots), I would avoid the P67, or any SLR for that matter.</p>

<p>Just making sure you are aware: the Fuji 6x9s do not have a built in lightmeter. You are unlikely to wave a handheld meter around on the street - now <em>that</em> will attract attention! (unless perhaps you disguise it as one of those iPhone 4s that have reception problems (;)). So you would have to be comfortable guesstimating exposure based on "sunny 16" extrapolations.</p>

<p>Fuji RFs are a lot more subtle and inconspicuous. The mirror slap and shutter sound from a P67 might cause someone to call the cops, and provoke PTSDs to hit the dirt. <br>

MF film seems to me like an odd preference for street photography. It's usually pretty uncontrolled, with a low proportion of keepers to attempts. I hope you have deep pockets.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I have owned and used both of these cameras at the same time, whilst both are great cameras, I can't imagine trying to use a Pentax 67II camera for street photography. The shutter noise alone would attract a lot of attention. The Pentax is best for Landscape type photography, stuck on a tripod, where you can use it nice and slowly.<br /> The Fuji GSW 690II that I still have (sold the P67II)was as others have said known as the Texas Leica. It works wonderfully well has a quiet shutter and would be ideal in any version for handheld use. As well as the 6 x 9cm version with 65mm wide angle lens, you can find a 90mm lens version in 6 x 7cm and 6 x 9cm models; with a rarer Japanese home market 6 x 8cm format camera too. I've managed some very sharp images (Velvia 50) with the Fuji handheld years ago in the Austrian Alps when I had no tripod with me. It is the one camera that I just can't bring myself to part with! I probably should have kept the Pentax too, but it is a very heavy camera outfit to carry around with 4 lenses, tripod etc. The transparencies were stunning though.</p>