iPad as album

hfd4177

Hello all. Recently I have been reading that some photographers are adding iPad

wedding albums to there packages. I thought this is a really cool idea but I was

wondering how to do this. Question is how do I give an iPad preloaded with there

wedding album? When they go to sync it at home as a new user Won't they lose

everything? There must be away around this as quite a few photographers are adding

this.

Question 2 are any of you out there using the iPad for this, if so how is it working out?

<p>Hey Brian, past a certain price point, I think an iPad is a great add on value added item.<br>

However it terms of marketing, pricing, etc. I don't think you would want to include it on the list of deliverables. Why?<br>

1. Beyond a certain price point (6/7K) to add a deliverable as a means to entice the client may seem like pandering. Chances are if that client wanted an iPad they already have one, though they would appreciate the regifting.<br>

2. Below the previously mentioned price point, you probably have a 2 or 3x factor associated with the iPad in the contract, or it's assumed by the client that you do and in hopes of a better deal, ask to NOT have the iPad included to achieve a lower rate.<br>

So I would say, if you have a high end package where you feel that the iPad would be a lovely gift (Kevin Swan-owner of KISS wedding albums, used to hand out iPod Nanos with the images on them) that they can use, appreciate or enjoy, Great idea! However as a means to entice that would be client, their thinking might be "I'll get the images on CD, buy an iPad with the wedding gifts, and load up the stuff by myself".<br>

Unless you are doing something, or planning to do something, more than merely load the images on the iPad, like doing a slideshow or an epublication that has slideshows in it...now THAT my friend is some serious multimedia!<br>

So what were you thinking? Though the cost of a 16-32gb wifi iPad is roughly the same as a mid level wedding album.<br>

I'm interested in what you were thinking</p>

<p>I am using the iPad to show images to my clients, both as a kind of tethered device during more organised and controlled shoots but also sometimes in events (after the event and before we call it a day they may get a quick preview of some of the photos). In that respect it's working like a charm and the coolness factor is truly incalculable.</p>

<p>But actually giving the customers one? I don't think that would work. Apart from the technical issues (some of which you already identified) the cost, supply situation, etc would make it prohibitive, both in terms of cost as well as logistics.</p>

<p>When I first conceived the idea of using the iPad I had thought that I could provide my iPad and iPhone yielding clients with their photos on an iBook, but after careful examination of how the iTunes store works, I discovered that I would not have been able to control who bought the book, something my clients would generally not like. So the cool idea of offering amazing slideshows in a simple downloadable format didn't work. And so it's back to the secure section of my website (which I made sure IS visible with the iPad).</p>

<p>I do use the iPad however to (a) show clients their images and discuss post-processing requirements, (b) show potential clients my portfolio, © show clients ideas and concepts for their upcoming shoot, take their comments, make notes, (d) work with studios and assistants (as well as other photographers) to set up lighting (through the Strobox application). It's a superb tool and one I'm truly happy I invested in.</p>

<p>This is a recycled idea that some people were using with the 3rd Generation and later iPods, if you do a search I'm sure you can find the archived threads. The simplest solution is to also give the clients a DVD backup of the low-res, 72 px files that they can transfer to their computer and store for future reference. Easy peasy...........</p>

Thanks for the responses. I want to offer the iPad as an album alternative in a digital only package. I think that there

may be some intrest in this especially from the techie type couples. I would like to set up the iPad in a way that the

average person would not. Maybe set up an an ebook or document that would have all of the design elements of a

standard album. Like I said earlier I jus need to figure out the logistics of giving the iPad and not losing the data when

they sync it. I understand and appreciate everyones arguments as to why this idea won't work but when it comes down

to it there really is not much risk. If people don't pick that package or that add on then so be it I don't lose money if

they don't pick it however if one or two couples chose the ipad then it's worth it. I like the idea also because as of now

not many people are doing this and it may be seen as new and inovative.

<p>BTW, I offered the iPod weddings for it's marketing value, it seemed to stimulate some interest but fell short in the area of sales. Back then it was possible to get the couple's name and wedding date engraved on the back of the iPod. If you find a couple where the parents are footing the bill, they might like the idea of getting an iPad with their coverage but unless it's part of a wedding present for the B/G, I doubt that dad will be too happy about it.</p><div>00X9c8-273199584.thumb.jpg.68a6149048b27bc6b603f9b57e22c503.jpg</div>

<p>It doesn't have to be difficult.</p>

<p>Treat the iPad as an album. Pre-load the images in the sequence or sets that make sense. Present the iPad exactly as you would an album, in whatever custom packaging you use.</p>

<p>Just include a disk that the client can use to reload images if they want to dock the iPad and use it for their apps/data. Ideally, make it easy for them and put in two sets: both the original hi-res for printing, and the optimised images for iPad in the correct display sequence. Reloading is as easy as drag-'n'-drop the folder into their ~/Pictures directory.</p>

<p>(If you don't own an iPad, be aware that ordering images is difficult, and will require some work. iPad orders images according to EXIF datetime created, which will be a problem if you have a custom display order in mind). Easily fixed with moderate scripting skills -- see exiftool.</p>

<p>You can, as Neil very correctly mentions, preload the iPad with the wedding images as a slideshow or, if you use one of the many PDF readers available for the iPad, as a full, multi-page, fully-designed PDF album. Then, when the client syncs the iPad with their computer, none of this data will be lost but would also be transfered to their computers. The only drawback I see in the first approach is that iTunes automatically resizes the images you download to your iPad in the appropriate resolution, so your clients would not be able to use those images for anything else other than on screen viewing.</p>

<p>I think it's a great idea and I personally love the idea!</p>

<p>Not every bride and groom is on a cheap budget. Yes, if they are in this category, they certainly could go out and purchase an ipad on their own but for whatever reason choose not to. </p>

<p>If my photographer for my own personal wedding would have offered this, I would have / if not SERIOUSLY would have thought about it. My thinking is this: "OMG how flipping cool! I've always wanted an ipad!!1!1!" </p>

<p>FWIW, I just asked my office at work if they would be interested and the overall response (12 people) was "cool!!" </p>

You could use Aperture to build a digital wedding album that is iBook ready. Also, you could create an amazing

slideshow that was optimized for the iPad. When the couple sync with their computer you could provide both the

iBook and slideshow for them to re-sync and everything would maintain the formatting you want. I've thought about this

and I'm convinced it would sell to some clients.

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I am the developer of iAlbum, a "virtual" photo album for the Apple iPad that looks and feels like a "real" traditional photo album, complete with beautiful cover options, photo pages, photo corners, and realistic page turn animations. It's a beautiful way to organize and share your photos with family and friends in an intuitive photo album format everyone can instantly use and enjoy.<br>

The photos are stored within the app, so there is no danger of losing them when the iPad is sync with another computer. There are also provisions for exporting and importing photo albums via iTunes, and for printing your albums to pdf.<br>

You are welcome to read more at http://www.applgasm-apps.com/ialbum/, or write me any questions you have at sales@applgasm-apps.com.<br>

Ron</p>