the Canon EOS 60D is here!

hannahthiem

<p>

The Canon EOS 60D has arrived--just announced this evening. Bob met with Canon a few weeks ago and was able to take some test

photos and video with the pre-production model they had on hand.</p>

<p>Read the preview, check out the test images (which link to the full size jpgs) and view the super short video

clip.</p>

<p><a href="/equipment/canon/60D/hands-on-preview/">Canon EOS 60D Hands-on Preview</a></p>

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>So from here, maybe the XXD line fades away, eventually becoming indistinguishable from and redundant with the XXXD line, except bulkier? Then we'll have the XXXD line, the 5D line, the 7D line, and the 1D line? I honestly didn't understand how the 7D fit in until now (I think).</p>

<p>I don't think the 60D should be upsetting, as long as there's the 7D and its descendents.</p>

<p>And this is where all this is going...<br>

(Sorry for the longish cut-and-paste from the Canon's site but I just couldn't resist...)</p>

<p><em>(...)Another great new feature for photographers-on-the-go is Canon's new image resizing function. After capturing full resolution or smaller JPEG images, the camera can generate lower-resolution copies using menu commands. New lower-resolution settings include 1920 x 1280 for optimal display on HD televisions, or 720 x 480, ideal for immediate uploading to social networking and other photo sharing web sites. The original high resolution files remain unaffected by the image resizing function.</em></p>

<p><em>Available for the first time in an EOS camera are Canon's new creative image filters. Familiar to Canon PowerShot users, these fun photo effects help make a great image more dynamic, even after it has been shot. Canon provides four artistic filters that allow photographers to capture an image and then create and manipulate a digital copy of it.</em><br /><em>o The Soft Focus effect filter helps dramatize an image and smooth over shiny reflections.</em><br /><em>o The Grainy Black and White filter can give a different nostalgic perspective to any shot.</em><br /><em>o Canon's "Toy Camera" filter deliberately adds vignetting and color shift for a creative option when shooting a colorful scene.</em><br /><em>o Users can also make a scene appear like a small-scale model, simulating the look from a tilt-shift lens, with Canon's Miniature Effect filter, great when shooting any scene from a high vantage point.(...)</em></p>

<p>As a 50D owner I see no reason to purchase the 60D. I would rather make an investment in the 7D. I'm disappointed that the 60D doesn't have micro adjust for lenses and that the FPS has decreased. I don't find a 3MP increase on the sensor to be that big of a deal. The final nail is the lack of CF cards. They're faster and I have a lot of them :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Plastic body, sd cards...<br /> Should it have been called the 600D instead?<br /> It seems to be in a no mans land.<br /> The enthusiast will still hanker after the 7D and the budget man will still be quite content with the 550D.<br /> Discuss.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As someone "waiting in the wings" to buy a Canon DSLR, I can see that the 60D definitely fills in a space between the 550D/T2i and the 7D, in price and features. It's also plain to me that the 60D is <strong>not</strong> a "logical" upgrade for a 50D or perhaps even a 40D user.</p>

<p>If you don't have an investment in cards, then the CF/SD difference is moot. Both perform well. SD might have a slight advantage in that many computers (and more and more other devices) have built-in SD slots.</p>

<p>As for the speed, maybe that extra frame per sec means something to the photographer shooting action, but 5.3 shots per second is still pretty good, and an upgrade from the 550D.</p>

<p>For me, and I'm sure for others, the ergonomics of the Rebel series just don't work out. The Rebels feel tiny in my hand, and I much prefer the rear dial control of the XXD & up over the four buttons. Right there, that puts me in the 40/50/60D realm and higher. I think some early reviews are making a big deal over the 60D being "smaller" than the 50D, but the differences are very slight, 1mm in width, 2mm in height, and the 60D is actually 5mm deeper (whether that is the grip or the articulating screen I'm not sure). It's still nearly 16mm wider, 8mm taller, and 3mm deeper than the 550/T2i.</p>

<p>I will take a look at the 60D, for sure, unless I buy a 50D earlier. Or maybe I'll just save for the 7D!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>aside from the 18MP and HD vid, it sounds like a downgrade from the 50D. I don't think it belongs in the X0D lieup. Plastic body, SD card, 5.7fps, smaller body.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It has too many things from the higher class camera to be a XX0D camera: rear control wheel, top-plate LCD, better viewfinder. These things have never been on an XX0D camera; indeed, one of the distinguishing marks of that line is that it doesn't have those things.</p>

<p>I agree that it doesn't look like the 50D upgrade that some people have been asking for. But that already exists - it's the 7D. This is the first in a new line.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just one more thing:"Toy filter effect" Does that mean that Canon makes cameras with a new "crapy picture feature? Come on people, buy a Diana or Holga for $ 50,- bucks.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They're referring to the "false miniature effect," which can be seen put to amazing effect here<br /> <br /> http://www.vimeo.com/9679622<br /> <br /> It's just a post processing effect, you don't have to use it. It's only a ""crapy (sic) picture" if the 7d is, since it's the same sensor.</p>

<p>"Toy camera" and "toy world" are different "artistic" (as per Canon, not me...) filters: the former emulates a crappy camera with a vignetting lens, uneven illumination, etc. and the latter processess a la "reverse tilt", selective plane of focus. My money is on DPP soon supporting these "artistic filters" as well in post, for those poor schmocks who use 1Ds and 1D bodies and need to be "artistic" :-)</p>