What are you most interested in from the new announcments?

scott_ferris

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Michael,</p>

<p>I wondered when you'd mention that 400. Yes much lighter, three mode four stop IS with movable programmable buttons and the new TC's to match it. Sounds like the 70-200 2.8 IS MkII was the start of something.</p>

<p>Now all that is left is the 1Ds MkIV and the 680EX with 135mm zoom head and 802 wireless.</p>

<p>70-300 L interests me most. It will be interesting to see how they price this. Too cheap and I think the 70-200 f4 L IS will die a slow death. Too expensive and I suspect the new Tamron 70-300 USM VC lens will kill it. Pity it is white.</p>

<p>While I have the old 15 mm fisheye, I can't see myself paying for an L fisheye zoom. Nor can I even see an advantage of a zoom for fisheye photography, though at least with this you get two lenses for the price of one (albeit probably a really, really expensive one) given it does both circular and rectangular fisheye work.</p>

<p>I like the sound of the 60D and was pleased to see they have downsized it a bit. Pity it is now plastic.</p>

<p>I'm thankful that there's nothing that really interests me, given the present sorry state of my finances, but the fisheye zoom does sound intriguing. I just picked up a Samyang 14mm in EF mount, and boy, is it ever sharp corner to corner. I'm not an ultra-wide angle shooter, but I figured that for a mere $400 I couldn't go wrong. The EF 14/2.8 L II runs $2600 before tax here in Canada.</p>

<p>The EF 300/2.8 L IS II sounds like an amazing lens. I have the earlier non-IS EF 300/4 L, as well as the even earlier FD 300/2.8 L, so I think I'll hold onto the $7000 that the latest version would set me back. :o)</p>

<p>So, Scott, do you think there will be any more lens announcements from Canon (such as that of the long anticipated 24-70/2.8 L IS), or is that it for this year?</p>

<p>The 70-300 does look like a great travel lens but I too would prefer it be black. and that 8-15 can probably produce some really creative photo/video but I would guess this will be seriously expensive. How does the size of the 60D compare to a 5D2 or 7D? </p>

<p>Geoff, I have the 15mm also, I pretty much gave up on the APS-H because there were no ultrawides for it, now if this new zoom can be corrected well, and judging by the way LR3 lens correction module works is should, then it might just mean I have a 1D MkIV and the 8-15 in my future. I'll be very interested in seeing full sized tests on that.</p>

<p>Mark,</p>

<p>Who knows :-). I'd be surprised if the 1Ds MkIV was not announced with one lens and the new flash. Canon have obviously gone all out in Germany, who knows how much they want to hold back, or, what for. Don't want to kill the thread with rumour speculation, but the 24-70 MkII has gestated like an overdue pregnant whale and the 35 f1.4 L is the odd L prime having not gotten a MkII version yet.</p>

<p>Geoff, the new 70-300 is expected to retail for $1500, so I don't think it will kill off the 70-200.<br>

<br>

Tommy, the 60D is smaller than the 50D (and, ergo, the 7D and 5DII), but bigger than the T2i. </p>

<p>Well at $1500 that pretty much kills the 70-300 L for me. I would have settled for just ring USM in the old 70-300 IS without the L build. I wonder who Canon is aiming this lens at? Professional travel photography seems to be dying, and while amatuer travel photography seems to be the market for this, the price tage, a kilo of glass, the L build and white paint seems like overkill.<br>

Guess I'll have to wait to see what the Tamron 70-300 USM VC is like.</p>

<p>I'm with you Scott. And while I'm happy with the Tamron lenses I own, I certainly can't imagine them "killing" any EF or EF/L gear, no offense Geoff.<br>

I was saddened to see the lens collar is not included with the new L zoom... Seems cheap on Canon's part to me, especially when they mark these collars to over $100.... Perhaps another step towards the masses...<br>

rt</p>

<p>For a toy, I'd go with the fisheye zoom. Sounds like a lot of fun. I wonder what it will cost though.</p>

<p>The 70-300 L sounds very interesting as well, but given that I already have a 70-200/2.8 L IS, I don't think I could ever justify that price.</p>

<p>If the 1.4x converter is immensely improved I could go for it. Interesting that there are no low-cost or EF-S lenses in this batch.</p>

<p>I disagree with Geoff on the 70-300 vs 70-200 F4L IS. I personally would rather have the 70-200 F4L IS with a 1.4X than the new 70-300. The new lens is heavier, no doubt is F5.6 at 200mm and with the wider zoom range it is unlikely to match the superlative image quality of the 70-200. I also like the internal zoom of the 70-200. </p>

<p>The only thing really of interest in these announcements to me is the new 1.4X TC. If it offers an improvement in CA performance over the old versions (which are optically the same) then I will be tempted to buy one. </p>

<p>Of course, I'll be keeping an eye on what the second hand price of 300 F2.8L IS mk I lenses does now...</p>