Canon 5D, is still a good camera to trust?

jcvpictures

<p>Hello everyone!</p>

<p>I am planning on upgrading from a 30D to a 5D, the classic version, but I am unsure if this is a good idea, I don't have the money to go for the 5DMII, so I was thinking that this would be a good move since I like to take pictures of landscapes and my 16-35mm is not wide enough when used on my 30D.</p>

<p>I've heard of sort of impressions about this camera but it is getting harder and harder to get a good/clean copy nowadays.</p>

<p>Your advise is very welcome.</p>

<p>JC</p>

<p>I'm assuming you are getting a used 5D, so just make sure it's hasn't been beat up. If you can, have a camera repair tech look at it. Make sure it comes with warranty. The best warranty I ever got was a 2-year on a used (leica III) camera.</p>

<p>I doubt that I have over 20,000 clicks on my 5D, I prefer my 1Ds as a full frame for most things but low light. So not all 5D cameras have a lot of use, the shutter which runs $200-$300 to repair is what is most likely to fail, bid or buy accordingly. I have bought two cameras used, a 1D and a 1Ds, I have had both of them for about 5years, neither one of them has been in for repair.</p>

<p>The 5D is a fantastic camera. I've been using a 5DII along side my old 5D. The big differences I notice are the newer menu system, a wonderful LCD, and video. I can only see the difference between 12mp and 21mp when I've shot using a tripod and pixel peeped. Haven't made a print yet where I could see the difference. I've gone up to 20"x30".</p>

<p>Thanks to all that advise me. Your input is very welcome and highly appreciated. I believe that I will be buying a 5D that a friend of mine has for sale, it looks in very good condition and he swears that it doesn't have more than 20,000 actuations, I only hope he is been honest. No mirror issue so far.</p>

<p>If you are planning to keep the 30D as a backup, the 5D makes even more sense, since the control layout is virtually identical, and it uses the same batteries. After owning the 5D for a few years, I bought a reconditioned 30D as a backup and to use for "long lens" shots. The 5D is significantly better for resolution (obviously), the larger viewfinder, and its focus accuracy. The only situations that I would actually choose the 30D first are if I need the length (the quite affordable 200/2.8L becomes the equivalent of a 300/2.8), or the built-in flash.</p>

<p>FWIW, I've owned the 5D since January 2006, and have shot about 3-4000 images per year with it. Other than having to clean the sensor periodically, it's been trouble free. It travels in a padded Lowepro backpack, but I don't exactly baby any of the gear.</p>

<p>A Sigma 10-20mm older model will cost much less, if your only problem is not having a short enough lens.</p>

<p>That being said, the 5D is a great camera still if you can get one in good shape. I love mine, but on a recent trip took my 20D for a lighter option, all the same. Attracts less attention and fewer "that must be an expensive camera" comments. The 5D is very subject to dust problems: its only real drawback if you don't need video.</p>

<p>Well I believe that since the 5D has a much larger sensor, there will be more changes of dust since there is more sensor where it can land. I am thinking that by having my 16-35mm mostly on this body the dust falling on the sensor will be a lot less. I still have to decide if I will use the 5D with my macro less, and probably yes. I did some tests at ISO 3200 and the levels of noise are almost indistinguishable, especially when exposed to the right. It's a shame I didn't know about the loyalty offer before hand, but I am happy with what I got.<br>

Thanks to all for your advise.</p>