Nikon D700 Buy or Wait?

jermaine_scott

<p>Bruce, first of all, something like that happening at all was solely due to the stupidity on my part. Everybody should know that when the wind is blowing hard, it is not a good idea to leave your camera on a tripod unattended, even for just a few seconds.</p>

<p>In a sense I was lucky. The fall broke the lens hood on my 70-200mm lens, and like 2 months after the trip, I finally realized that the focusing ring on that lens is now stuff. The left side of my D700 hit solid rock and there is now a dent. Had the right side hit, it could have damaged the CF compartment and the consequence could be very different.</p>

<p>That happened during the 1st week of a 3-week cruise, and everything continued to work fine for the rest of the trip as I used that combo quite a bit after the fall. The D700 is certainly well built and can take some beating.</p>

The sensor in the D700 is made by Sony and is considered excellent. There are rumors that Sony will no longer be

making full frame sensors. My D2H has a Nikon made sensor which was considered by many to be a disappointment

when it came out. There are rumors that Nikon will be making it's own sensors in future bodies.

<blockquote>

<p>The sensor in the D700 is made by Sony and is considered excellent.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D700 uses the same sensor as the D3, and the D3S uses an improved version of that sensor. Those sensors are designed by Nikon and manufactured for Nikon by another party, but Nikon does not disclose who the actual manufacturer is. Most likely Sony is not even the manufacturer. Before the D3100, the D700 and D3S (and the older D3) were the only current Nikon DSLRs that do not use a Sony sensor.</p>

<p>Nikon's other main line of business is producing semiconductor steppers. They are extremely familiar with making electronic chips. Even though Sony is making a lot of the Nikon sensors, Nikon still plays a major role in their design and in some cases, Nikon uses versions that are exclusively for Nikon.</p>

<p>No one here seems to have gotten at what would be my main consideration. I LOVE my D-700. Great, tough camera that I've beaten the hell out of. But, I got it two years ago. For a decade, it seemed like a I wanted to replace my camera every year or eighteen months, but cameras, like computers, really seem to have arrived at a point where they are "good enough" and that point is a bit, just a bit, past the D-700. I find the resolution limits me just a small bit (either in concert shoots or when I want more zoom than I have as I only have a 200mm) and the dynamic range could be better. Video is not necessary, but, I'd rather have it than not have it. Sometime in the next year, I imagine there will be something at more or less the same price that has video, better range and a bit more resolution. Will you be happy when that happens? I wouldn't be and I wouldn't let one single trip affect my decsion.</p>

<p>Have fun though! I lived in both places and they are both wonderful! Hit up the fish stands near the Galata Bridge and get into Fatih for some good photography in Istanbul.</p>

<p>If Tony the Leica guy says to get it, that should be all you need to hear. Besides, as others have pointed out, you'll want a little time to know it well before you travel, and anything announced in September will not be actually available in time for you to enjoy it.</p>

<p>Also, if you sell some of that new Nikon RF stuff and buy a small set of Zeiss (Cosina) ZF.2 lenses, then you can pretend it's an M6 (except twice as big). If you like 35mm, the ZF 35/2 is a fabulous lens on a D700.</p>

<p>I just bought my third D700 body. The quality of the image is amazing, even at 6400 ISO. I thought about waiting to see if something better came out and decided to go ahead and get another one. I shoot a lot so my cameras have a tendency to wear out in about a year and a half. That is why I have three bodies, two that I use all the time and a back-up that is almost dead. <br>

In a previous post there was a claim that the D300 is comparable in quality. This is not true. These claims are almost always made by people who can't afford good full frame lenses. The D700 changed the way I shoot, it was like the switch from film to digital. I shoot at 1600 ISO most of the time because of the flexibility it gives me. </p>

<p>The D700 is a great camera. Coming from 35 years of Nikon and Hasselblad film cameras, it was my first DSLR. And I don't see me replacing it anytime soon. The prices are dropping dramatically. I paid about $3000 a year ago for mine, which was body only and the battery pack. They are about a grand or more less right now.</p>

<p>You cannot go wrong with it. Especially if you have lots of manual AIS lenses like I do!</p>

<p>Jermaine, my advice would be to hold off a bit. You are already inclined that way, and will only regret it when an upgraded version comes out with some of the features noted above. Also maybe very useful things such as extended dynamic range and face detection/autofocus/autoexposure. Plus, the price of the current D700 will plummet when the new one hits. You could just wait for that to happen, then grab a D700 at a great price.<br>

Anyways, you are set with the equipment you now have for October. A Leica and Porta will give fantastic results. NCPS does a great job with hi res scans, but you could also consider Costco. They still do film at decent volumes, which means fresh chemicals and good quality. $1.50/roll for negs developed, and $2.99 for a scan CD at 2000x3000 - done on a $25,000 Noritsu scanner. The 6MP is more thane enough for most purposes. Any slect frames can always be sent out for larger prints/higher rez scans. So, at $4.50/roll, plus $5.50/roll for the film, you are looking at maybe $200 for 20 rolls on your trip (thats a lot of photos - 720). You will save much more than that holding off a few months.<br>

I learned this lesson when I almost bought the new (at the time) Minolta 7D. I lusted after it at the camera store before a big trip. But it was like $2500 for the body only. I told myself that I would have one one day, and held off. I picked up a new copy when the Alpha 7 came out for all of $450 !!! It was worth the wait! And my trip photos - they all came out great with my existing cameras at the time.<br>

Now I am not suggesting you wait 2-3 years like I did, but hold off a bit and save big with no regrets. You have a Leica - one of the best and most expensive cameras and lenses in the world bar none - your trip pictures will be stunning. You can afford to wait.<br>

And the Greeen Light - once it goes green, it can never really go back. Simply talk to your wife about it now, and get her to agree to waiting to save hundreds of dollars. I am sure she will agree, and then you simply remind her what the deal was when the d700 Deal arrives.<br>

My take anyway.</p>

• 5 months later...
<p>A camera is what it is, regardless of what comes along after it. The D700 is a great camera for a decent price, no matter what came before it or comes after it. When the new one comes out at $3,000, what on Earth do you think it will have that will make it worth about $700 more to you? Cameras have reached the point where they have FAR more than anyone really needs. You have the green light. Just GO for it, and get a good ten years out of your camera. That is what will make the most financial sense – not worrying about new models and what you could have, etc. Just get a great camera for a decent price, keep it and USE it for a very long time, and you have screwed the system of buying new gizmos every two years up the bunghole and have much more of your cash in hand over the years.</p>