Can D300 control SB 600 Wirelessly using on camera flash?

lili_jeffers

<p>I'm trying to figure out if I can fire my SB600 off my D300 using the flash on my D300.</p>

<p>I found the following directions but it didn't work for me</p>

<p>On your D300:<br /><br />Press MENU.<br /><br />Move up or down to: PENCIL menu.<br /><br />Move right and down to: e Bracketing/Flash<br /><br />Move right and down to: e3: Flash cntrl for Built-in Flash<br /><br />Move right and down to: C Commander Mode</p>

<p>On your SB-600:<br /><br />Hold down ZOOM and "-" together to enter the CSM settings. That's why you see a gray "CSM" marking between those two buttons.<br /><br />Press either the + or - buttons until you see an icon that looks like a wiggly Z-shaped arrow. This arrow refers to wireless communication between the flash and camera. When you see the wiggly arrow, press MODE to make it say ON.<br /><br />Press ZOOM and "-" together to get out of the CSM mode. Even easier, just tap the power button to get back to normal operation. It won't turn off if you hit it while in the CSM settings.<br /><br />Presuming you did this correctly you'll see "CHannel 3" and "GROUP A" displayed. If you see different channels or groups then press MODE to get one or the other to flash and then the + or - buttons to set them back to 3 and A. No, I have no idea why these are the settings you have to use instead of 1 and A; 3 and A are what you need to talk to the D70's built in flash. If you get smart and choose others then it won't work. The other channels and groups are for people much smarter than I who want to try to rig up a zillion flashes to work together and control them all separately and remotely. I prefer professional studio strobes if I'm using more than one strobe at a time.<br /><br />The SB-600 doesn't go into standby in this mode, so you can run down your batteries if you forget and leave it this way. It just sits there blinking its little red LEDs visible from the front.</p>

<p>"<em>Can D300 control SB 600 Wirelessly using on camera flash?"</em> - yes for D300 ,and yes for D70.<br>

.. but seems that you are already providing some instructions...?</p>

<p>"<em>No, I have no idea why these are the settings you have to use instead of 1 and A;" </em>- on D70 there is only one group and channel implemented. It is described in the camera manual, and there is no need to try anything else. The idea would be why Nikon did provide only 1 channels/groups for D70 ? - perhaps they want people to get other commanders.</p>

<p>"<em>I who want to try to rig up a zillion flashes to work together and control them all separately and remotely</em>" - yes, you need to have a commander that allows 3 channels, and 3 groups. D70 built-in flash will not do it. SB600 is not a commander flash.</p>

<p>"<em>I prefer professional studio strobes if I'm using more than one strobe at a time." </em>- there are No studio strobes that are compatible with Nikon CLS flash system. You prefer studio strobes, you must give up Nikon CLS automation.</p>

<p>I cannot comment on SB600 behavior, since I do not have one. SB800 is not easy to program either, but SB900 is much easier. The best commander is the SU800.<br>

<em> </em></p>

<p>I use three SB600 flashes with my D70s. I set them up exactly per your description and they all work fine, channel 3 group A, simultaneously. Choosing commander mode on my D70s; push the Menu button on the back of the camera, select the pencil, push the right side of the control wheel, scroll the list to 19 Flash mode, push the right of the wheel again, scroll to Commander mode, push the right wheel again, choose one of the three items, push the right wheel again. You're done.</p>