How do you do that

parvez_rana

<p>If this isn't your photo, and I gather it isn't, then the moderators will remove it shortly because it is a violation of photo.net terms of use to publish a photo not your own.</p>

<p>That said, and ignoring the content of the photo... Break it down. What is it that you don't understand? How to set and position the camera? How to set and position the lights? How to relate to the model?</p>

<p>If I understand you, you're talking about controlling <em>depth of field</em>. This, so that you can have just what you want in focus, while throwing everything else out of focus. To do this, you need a lens that has a wide maximum aperture (a "fast" lens, such as those that open up to f/1.4 or f/1.8). The focal length of the lens will depend on what sort of composition and perspective you're after. In the example you link to, it might have been a 50mm lens used up close, or a 200mm lens used from several feet away. Either way, it was done with a wide aperture.</p>

<p>The picture you've cited also has texture in the irises, and that was from two lights, probably softboxes, placed on either side of the model at an angle so their diffuse light rakes across the face. It's black-and-white and quite contrasty with skin tones that are quite flat, but not actually blown, and lost detail in the blacks. That was probably done in post-processing.</p>

<p>How to understand this portrait? How to shoot like this? 35mm, overexpose, very narrow depth of field and distort the jaw line manually in post. Frame poorly. Use a model who is not all that competitive. Exhibit second rate styling, poorly executed make-up (clumpy mascara, ill shaped eyebrows and lips). Why you would want to emulate this photo -except in the broadest terms- escapes me.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Dennis, with all due respect, I am not sure your posting helps answer the question posed by Mr. Rana, and it's condescending. Just because you don't seem to find any value in the photograph or the techniques used to achieve it doesn't mean the question is without merit. Mr. Rana wants to learn how to abstract a face so that the eyes dominate, as in the example. The answer is, as others have stated, a combination of: focal length to create a reduce perspective of the nose, shallow depth of field, lighting, makeup and postprocessing.<br>

Focal length - use 100mm or longer to create distorted compressed perpective<br>

Depth of field - use 1.4 or 1.8 and focus on the eyes<br>

Lighting - use flat lighting as in the example, I prefer catchlights above and below the pupil. A good way to accomplish this is to use "clam shell" lighting with a curved reflector as fill. May want to overexpose slightly, or do it later in post.<br>

Makeup - emphasize the eyes and apply pancake type of makeup to eliminate texture - can all be done in postprocessing as well.<br>

Post - do selective surface blurring of facial surfaces, increase value on the face, increase size of the eyes, selective contrast, etc.<br>

I find the intensity of the portrait compelling.</p>

<p> </p>