Sunday musings: if you only had two lenses, what would they be?

<p>For traveling, I suggest Elmarit 21/2.8 ASPH and Elmar 50/2.8 collapsible. <br>

Due to RF's long baseline, focusing with a super wide angle is much more accurate that with a SLR lens of the same focal length. The Elmarit 21mm is extremely sharp, sharp enough to allow blow-ups of landscape scenes, but what makes it extraordinary is its tolerance in edge distortion, even at close range shots.<br>

As for the Elmar, apart from its versatility being 50mm, light and unobtrusive, it is practically distortion-free. No other 50mm is of that low in dostortion.</p>

<p>A 35mm f2 ASPH, probably Leica's finest lens to date, and after that it is not too important, a toss up betwen the 12mm VC or the 90mm Elmarit-M, depending upon the type of photography that day. With the M8, the superb 75 mm Summicron would be great as a second lens, with my 21mm F2.8 ASPH as the other, however the budget won't allow a third aspherical lens.</p>

<p>John R.: 28mm & 50mm? Interesting. Sounds about right for a RF camera. I'm almost tempted...<br>

<br />I see that some go 28 & 90. I worry about the gap in the middle - but then again, going a bit more extreme eliminates any notion of vagueness!<br>

<br />Stuart, I'd like the 75/1.4 but it's a big lens. I chose the 75/2.5 for its relative compactness. But, oh boy, I want the 75 'lux!<br>

<br />I note that Guido chose 35 & 50. Too close together? And for those who chose 50 & 75 or 90 - you obviously don't shoot in crowded rooms! :-P<br>

<br />Brett: very interesting camera, that Fuji. Must look into it.</p>

<p>Patrick: only one lens? That's tough. Very tough. For tradition I'd go 50mm. But no matter what I chose I'd <em>always</em> be wondering if I made the right decision!</p>

<p>Hey Paul....you are only allowed one go ;-)</p>

<p>My fantasy take is 35mm F2 Summicron Asph and 75mm F2 Summicron<br>

In real life though it's a VC Ultron 35 f1.7 and an F4 Elmar-C</p>

<p>Is that two goes?</p>

<p>Gadge</p>

<p>Reply on behalf of Leica.....<br>

40mm F2 Summicron and 90mm Elmar-C<br>

That is the choice that they actually made when faced with the same dilemma and the Leica CL.<br>

My guess is that they would have selected a 35mm Summicron if making the same decision for a film M camera at that time. Today I suspect that a F2 28mm and 75mm lens combo may well be their choice for a film M two lens combo.</p>