Problems processing RAW files - advice on workflow

<p>Hello.<br>

I'm having a problem with my RAW workflow, and have done lots of research on how to try and rectify it but still no joy.<br>

I am shooting RAW on Canon, so producing CR2 files.<br>

I am importing photos into Adobe Bridge (on Mac OS X 10.4).<br>

When I click on a CR2 file in Bridge, if I go to File / Open in Camera Raw the option is greyed out.<br>

If I click File / Open With / RAW Image Task 3.2.0.10 it says 'Alert. Start RAW Image Tast from Canon Utilities ImageBroswer. Start Aborted.'<br>

I can open RAW images if I do work in Canon Utilities, but am wondering what the point of Bridge is in my workflow? Canon's RAW Image task also seems slow when making adjustments.<br>

Can anyone advise a good way for me to work in RAW outside of Canon Utilities, or a better way to organise this?<br>

Thanks. </p>

<p>Did you look into Adobe Lightroom? This might be the best solution for you. I know its an extra expanse but it well worth the investment if you are looking to work with RAW files. You can probably get a 30-day free trial from their website and see for yourself. I do all of my raw work in Lightroom and love the results. If you worked with Bridge, Lightroom will seem sooo familiar to you, almost as if you have never left.<br>

Tom</p>

10.4 is old... how old is your Bridge, PS, ACR, and that Canon app?

If your Bridge/PS is too old, and your CR2 is from a newer camera, you may not be able to find an ACR that supports it.

This may be why the menu choice is grayed out.

Try opening the raw in PS and see if that takes you to ACR.

--Marc

<blockquote>

<p>Thanks for your advice. I'm using:<br /> Canon EOS 450d<br /> PS CS3<br /> ACR 4.0</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You need to go into Bridge. Then, select Help > Updates and the Adobe Updater will automatically search for updates, and it will download and install ACR version 4.7. You'll then have compatibility with the CR2 files generated from your Canon 450D (I have the same camera).</p>

<p>And for Canon software... Don't use Image Task, use DPP (Digital Photo Professional),which is included on your install disk or downloaded from here:</p>

<p>http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_rebel_xsi#DriversAndSoftware</p>

<p>I LOVE bridge and it is <strong>not</strong> "pointless and counterproductive." That is a very wrong blanket statement. For a high volume production photographer there is some truth in the statement, but for a slow fine art photographer like myself, it is completely wrong. <br>

Bridge is buggy though and sometimes the cashe's need to be purged or even the software completely reset (by deleting the Bridge restry keys very carefully) to get it to function right again.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but for a slow fine art photographer like myself, it is completely wrong</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What advantage does Bridge have over LR for fine art, or for any other purpose? I used Bridge forever, since the day it became part of Photoshop, and I started using Lightroom the day it came out. Lightroom does everything Bridge does, does it all better, and does a lot more that bridge doesn't. It's faster, more powerful, more capable, better designed, and more efficient. That's all just opinion though.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You may want to find the ACR plugin on the Adobe site. Do not worry, because even if it says "for CS4" you can just open it in CS3. Should solve your problems - it's tried and tested.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What!? As I said in my earlier post, there's no need to go to the Adobe site hunting for ACR updates. Bridge will download and install the latest version compatible with your existing Adobe software. CS3 uses up to ACR 4.6. CS4 uses up to ACR 5.7. If you do feel compelled, here's the download page:</p>

<p>http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Bridge will download and install the latest version compatible with your existing Adobe software.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Chas, a friend of mine and I have noticed that Bridge will install the version relevant to its version number. CS3 will thus NOT install 5.7. You can do it manually, and it works.</p>