dvd and file size

karin_kelly_burns

Anyway, to answer your question the 500 mark will surely be a safe projected target. Maybe as much as 650, not much more than that; in jpeg. It really depends on how you edit. The more data per image recorded will determine how many images can fit on a DVD. Some large jpegs can be as little as 2 megabytes, yet others can be around 14 mg's or higher.

<p>For what it's worth, I constrain my files to 3500 pixels on the long side. This will produce an average file size of 3MB or under. For all practical purposes, this is a huge file size for 99% of all brides. And in some cases, too big. While I am running 7GB of Ram, I find most brides are lucky to be running with 1GB. It takes a long time to cache a folder of images and the less Ram the computer has, the longer it will take. </p>

<p>Thanks for these answers. Are you giving brides multiple DVDS and if you give them over 2 how are you packaging them? Also, what is considered high resolution? If I export my 5D Mark II jpgs at 100% they are approx 12 mb....I need to go down to 70% to get a 3.3 mb file size and 50% to get a 2.5 mb file size. At 3000 x 3000 pixels I get a 3 mb file size. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks a bunch.</p>

<p>First: the capacity of a dvd is around 4.35 gigabytes. I believe that's based on 4,700,000 bytes, give or take a few zeros. Assuming you're on Windows</p>

<p>1. open a Windows Explorer window<br>

2. ensure status bar is showing (pulldown View|Status Bar)<br>

3. navigate to your directory with the jpegs, click on the first, hold shift and tap the down arrow to start highlighting them (or click and drag with mouse, but this can be treachorous).<br>

4. watch the status bar as you select images, it will show the accumulating size as you select files.<br>

5. for really detailed info, right click the files and choose properties (or just type <alt> Enter)</p><div>00X3u3-268603584.thumb.jpg.954ddb684f70392e0901e85993f5bdfe.jpg</div>

"Are you giving brides multiple DVDS and if you give them over 2 how are you packaging them? Also, what is considered high resolution? If I export my 5D Mark II jpgs at 100% they are approx 12 mb....I need to go down to 70% to get a 3.3 mb file size and 50% to get a 2.5 mb file size. At 3000 x 3000 pixels I get a 3 mb file size"

In regards to reducing the resolution I'm confused why you wouldn't want to give the client the best possible quality. Are you shooting in RAW and then converting them to jpeg? How many images are you taking at the weddings?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

<p>I'm on a Mac OS X (fairly new) so I have a large capacity. In response to Bob, John Deerfield has explained why I wouldn't want to give full size files. They are huge and tremendously slow. To export takes forever. A 10-13 mb file is more than most people want. 2-3 mb is more realistic. I don't think most people want 5 dvds of images. I am talking about 1500-2000 images at a typical wedding with 2 photographers. I would like to get it down to 1 or 2 discs and was wondering how people are doing this....what size files are they handing over to the brides. I don't mind giving full resolution images but it's not practical. I shoot in RAW and LR converts them to jpegs. I appreciate all the comments as I don't see where anyone else has talked about this. The latest greatest cameras have such megapixel capability that it is overwhelming for storage on dvds. I really don't think most brides will ever look at all those images but I have no problem giving them to them. The file size would seriously hamper most computers. Thanks for all the comments....this is really helpful.</p>

<p>There are only two ways to reduce file size: less pixels and compression. Many labs will tell you that a level 10 compression results in no image degradation (from 12) and the subsequent reduction in file size more manageable. As far as pixels go, the Canon 10D had (has) a max. resolution of 3072x2048 and I have a 16x24 framed show print from that camera that looks great. I use Aperture to convert Raw to JPEG and it will allow you to constrain the pixels to anything you choose. I would think LR would do the same.</p>

<p>As far as delivery goes, @ 3500 pixels you have to have a LOT of images to not fit on one DVD, or one dual layer disc. However, for multiple disc deliveries, we just use a multiple disc Avery style case. We also do a low-resolution disc (using Portfolio) for faster browsing. </p>

I supply two sets of images: hi-res at 4000px longest side, and lo-res at 700px longest side. This gives the client

maximum flexibility. If they want to look through the images, or share by web or email, they they can use the lo-res ones.

If they want to make a print, then they've got a maximum quality that will go up to 18", depending on paper type and print

output.

I find a single DVD has capacity for an image set of around 580 images with those sizes.

I question the rationale for keeping files small. I don't believe anyone is doing a client a favour by throwing away image

quality or print potential. Was anyone really hired with the expectation that they would deliberately provide an inferior

product? I believe it's better to anticipate the needs of the client by giving them the choice with sets intended for printing,

and sets designed for viewing or sharing.

As an aside, go into any computer store today. You can't buy a computer with less than 4GB of RAM, or without a decent

graphics card, and it's easy to upgrade the spec even further. Most computers have dual core or quad core processors. In some cases, your clients may have better

computers than you. In five years time the baseline will have moved even further. 32GB RAM will probably be normal. Does

anyone expect their images to have a shelf life of less than five years?

<p>I leave the resolution alone, and save as quality 10 jpegs. After extensive pixel peeping and test prints I cannot discern a difference between quality 12 jpegs and quality 10 jpegs, but it cuts the file size 1/3rd to 2/3rds. I can put at least 500 quality 10 jpegs from 5DII files on a DVD. I rarely deliver that many so that works for me. </p>

<p>The subject seems pretty well covered, but I'll throw in. I deliver files in three sizes, 3600x5400 (12x18); 1200x1800 (4x6);and 600x900 optimized. Files at quality 10 jpeg with appropriate sharpening. I think the client is well covered this way, and the smaller sizes really don't add much data to the disc. With my editing, this usually fits on one DVD depending on the event. But I have two disc cases if necessary.</p>

<p>Mark,<br>

To answer your question, I am providing edited images that Lightroom converts to large jpgs....sizes from 6-22 mb. LR does not save as quality 10 or 12 the way PS does but will export as a jpeg with quality from 1-100%. You can resize and change the resolution also. Not exactly the same as PS. I will end up with 4-6 disks of high res images and wasn't sure that's what people wanted to receive. <br>

This is a great thread and I appreciate everyone's input. On another note, what are you all using to package these multiple dvds? Are you having labels printed, writing on them (doesn't look too cool), or are you happy with someone who is marketing dvd labels?? <br>

Thanks,<br>

Karin</p>

<p>Yeah, love the hi-lo idea Neil. Will definitely do that in the future. </p>

<p>Also, for the OP, if you are giving them 1500-2000 images, that is probably too many. I used to give that many photos over, because I shot that many. Even if you have 2 shooters, you should probably cull it down more. While as a bride it is fun to go through the gazillions of photos you get, it can get a bit insane when it goes beyond 1000 images. If say you have 5 shots of the same family group for formals, try to determine which are the best 2 or the best 1. I usually like to provide them with a little bit of choice, but giving them the best one is probably the better technique. I find this also makes my life easier when I'm doing editing, because I don't just batch edit, I go through each one. Now what I do is go through and mark the keepers in lightroom, and mark the highlights. Each with different colors. Than I only edit the keepers. The keepers are the ones that end up on the DVDs I provide the client.</p>