B&W or Color, a call for input of all Wedding Photographers

herma

<p>I am processing some of of my latest wedding and portrait pictures. While I am showing some of my processed images to my hubby (a non photographer, I might add) he is saying he likes the color version over my processed B&W. He thinks that color is really what the MOB and the moms really want .. This makes me really question what is more desired by clients? Melissa P., I am a big fan of your work, what do you say?</p>

<p>Black and white seems to be an acquired taste, like classical music or cognac, or, for that matter, like films shot in black and white. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of people prefer their photos to be in color. My wife likes old films, but she simply doesn't get my fondness for black and white photos and certainly doesn't understand how I can get excited about spending time working on a black and white conversion. Most of my brides, and most of my clients, have preferred color images, as well. I now ask clients early on if they like black and white photos. If they say yes, I'll give them a few and invite them to ask for more. But in general I no longer waste my time working on black and white treatments just because I myself like them. </p>

<p>in my experience I have been surprised to get special requests from clients of certain images converted to B&W, but once I know they like them, I tend to offer up some more conversions as I am processing.... but my line of thinking is to give them the option of both, the great part is that the client lets you know which ones they would like to see in B&W which almost always indicates some of their favorite images as well.</p>

<p>(I will begin by assuming you are not shooting black and white film on the front end.) If I'm shooting digital and I have a choice of either leaving it in color or changing it to black and white, I usually only change it to black and white when my color balance is so poor that it simply looks bad in color.</p>

<p>In my observation, generally, (though not in all cases) when wedding photographers change their photos to black and white it's almost always where they would look bad in color. Think dark churches with mixed lighting, dark reception halls, etc. In these situations the photographer can either choose to give the client a color photo that honestly doesn't look that great, or a desaturated black and white photo that looks pretty good.</p>

<p>That doesn't mean that all photos that are changed to black and white were technically weak. Certainly there are artistic reasons to choose to make a certain photo black and white.</p>

<p>In the end I don't give out very many B&W photos. That said, 85% of the time that I <em>do</em> use black and white, I use it to cover mistakes, and I assume that many other photographers that use black and white are doing the same. One here or there is great, a majority of photos being changed to B&W probably is not. Use it judiciously, but there's nothing wrong with a black and white photo here or there. There are even rare times where a photo looks fine in color but rendering it in black and white gives it a certain unique beauty.</p>

<p>I love blk & whites especially for receptions.. I do a lot of budget weddings w/ little to no decorations and i find the blk & whites can really make an ugly reception look classy...also the bride getting ready, the last wedding i did had a messy hotel room w/ bright clothes and stuff strone about and another one i did the bride got ready in a daycare room of a church..blk & whiting these images gave them so much class... i always give a color and a blk & white of everything and like bob said the focal blck & white are very popular people ask me if I will do it to there pictures... i think after a while it can get a little tacky but they love it...</p>