Program shift mode

cash_chew

<p>The shift allows you to use a different shutter speed - f-stop combination....in P-mode, you get the same exposure with more (or less) depth-of-field. The P-mode exposure is figured out by the little computer in the camera as the best estimated exposure. By adding <strong>flash</strong>, the best estimated exposure is just that...the D80 won't give you much exposure to adjust using the program shift (as you have found out, it doesn't allow you to do so.)</p>

<p>If you read your instruction booklet, you'd find out that the A-mode gives you the choice of f-stop, while the D80 determines the best shutter speed. The P-mode (shift or not) gives you the best estimate (shutter speed and f-stop) exposure for the ISO you have selected -- based on how bright the scene is that you are photographing.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Does that mean that when flash is not used, the P-mode with shift is a subset of A-mode, where A-mode allow you to use any available f-stop, whereas P-mode will not let you shift through the whole range of available f-stop? Yesterday I tried to test it out in dim ambient light and I don't have any problem to shift from f-1.4 to f16 of a 50mm/f-1.4 lens. So given certain light condition, does that mean I won't be able to do that just as in A-mode?</p>

<p>"Does that mean that when flash is not used, the P-mode with shift is a subset of A-mode, where A-mode allow you to use any available f-stop, whereas P-mode will not let you shift through the whole range of available f-stop?"</p>

<p>No. P [Program mode] means the camera will pick the best f-stop and shutter speed combination. The Program *Shift means you can change either the f-stop or the shutter speed, and the Program mode will determine the matching f-stop or shutter speed to make the best exposure.</p>

<p>A [Automatic] mode is where you pick the f-stop, and the D80 will pick the shutter speed for what it considers the best-guess exposure....depending on the scene's brightness and the ISO you have dialed into the camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jerry, Flex Program (P*) means you change the aperture and shutter simultaneously while keeping the overall exposure the same. In the program mode, you cannot adjust only the aperture or only the shutter speed.</p>

<p>I used to use the program mode a lot, and I treat it as a more advanced aperture priority mode.</p>

<p>Nikon cameras show P* instead of just P once you shift to an aperture/shutter speed combination that is not the default.</p>

<p>For example, you set your camera to P and switch it on. The camera may pick 1/125 sec and f5.6; that is the default P selection. If you rotate your command dial to change that to 1/60 sec, f8 or 1/250 sec, f4, the display will change from P to P*.</p>