Tall and light carbon fiber tripods?

michael_burrows1

<p>I am looking through the maze of carbon fiber tripods and cant find what I need. I need a <strong>non</strong>-gitzo carbon fiber tripod that will extend to at least 70+" inches. I have looked at some of the China models: Hakuba, Induro, Benro..... but cant find one that gets high without gaining alot of weight. Most seem to stop at 60" inches unextended before a big weight increase.<br />I cant imagine Gitzo is the only one with somewhat skinny long leg models. the China brands are fine.<br />Any model suggestions I have missed?<br />Thanks all<br />Michael</p>

<p>The only reason you would <strong>need </strong>a 6' tripod is if you do birding where you point up a lot, or video where you need to shoot over the heads of the audience. In that case, something equivalent to the Gitzo GT-3540XLS or GT-5560LS would be appropriate. Remember, you gain over 6" from the head and height of the viewfinder. If you point down just a little, it gets a lot harder to look through the finder. It's normal to stoop just a little. I'm 5'10", and seldom extend the bottom section of my 55" tripod.</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

I went through a similar exercise looking a few years ago and gave up because I could not find one that was enough lighter from what I already had to justify the cost so I will be interested in any suggestions you get. Edward, the reason I was looking for something that tall is because I am 6'6'' and the back begins to suffer with a short tripod even when used as rarely as I do. <br>

Jon</p>

<p>I am not tall but use the longer length legs constantly on the old heavy Gitzo. Shooting on a steep mountain grade, 1 leg in a river, rooftop, stepping on a boulder, deep snow, sand, architectural elevation etc.<br>

Most tall tripods rate up to 25 lbs of camera which is silly. I shoot strictly 4x5 and 617 and no cameras near that kind of weight. tripods loose there ridgidity when the center colomn is extended, so long legs are a must.<br>

So anyone know any tall models in their search?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>The Gitzo GT-3540XLS is 78" tall without a column. Only the Gitzo GT-5560 is taller at 108". I have the aluminum version, a G-1504, which is 99" tall. The 3540 is nearly as stiff, but only 1/3rd the weight. If you can find one, the older G-1348 CF tripod is 68" tall, but does not have non-rotating legs. Expect to pay at least $450 for a used G-1325 in good condition.</p>