a 60mm lens and the other a 90 but this is not particularly

important. Has anyone used both of these cameras? I'd be interested

to hear your feedback. I am aware of the pluses and minuses of the

6X7 but have never handled the 645. I'll use the camera for people,

travel etc. - nothing particularly formal. And I can't imagine a

need for massive blow ups of the neg, which if I was so inclined

would obviously favour the 6X7.

Frank Philcox

The GS645S is a rangefinder. The rangefinder is a bit fiddly to use (you need a strong vertical line to focus on), but the lens is outstanding. It has a light meter with three LEDs in the viewfinder, and the viewfinder frame adjusts for paralax. It's a lovely camera, weighs only about 700 grams or so, and is only slightly bulkier than a Sony F707. It's brother, the GS645W, is a guess focus wide angle camera with a 45mm lens. (These were both released around 1984. Also from that period is the original Fuji 645 camera, the Fujica (not Fuji) GS645, a folder with a 75mm lens, rangefinder, and meter.)

If you don't need prints much over 16x20 inches, these are fine.

The Fuji 6x7 and 6x9 rangefinders do not have a meter and weigh twice what the GS645S does. I haven't used one, so I don't know if the rangefinder is any easier to use. IMHO, the 6x9 versions make a lot of sense, but the 6x7 versions much less. You're wasting 2cm of image from that lovely lens on every shot. Ouch! Making prints anything less than 20x28 from these cameras is an insult to the camera.

It sounds like the 645S has a split-image rangefinder as opposed to superimposed. The 690 has superimposed, and mine agrees with the scale. I think the split-image is somewhat easier to use- you just need to locate line somewhere near the focus point.

The lens on the 690 is 65mm, equivalent to 28mm on 35. But the old TLR's often had 75mm lenses, so if you crop a 6x4.5 frame out of the center you will have something like a normal perspective.

The 690 is pretty useful for architecture and interiors. You can shoot a 3 story building in landscape orientation and avoid converging verticals by using the top of the frame and cropping out the foreground. Fairly tall buildings can be handled in portrait orientation.

The GS645S is a superimposed, not split image, rangefinder; it's just not a great one (although it is better than the one in my Agfa Isolette III). It's hard to see what's going on unless there's something very sharp/contrasty in the superimposed area. FWIW, the Bronica 645 rangefinder is one of the best rangefinders I've ever looked through.

There are SIX current big Fuji rangefinders, three (GW6x0) with 90mm lenses, and three (GSW6x0) with 65mm lenses; GW670, GSW670, GW680, GSW680, GW690, and GSW690. The GW670 and GSW670 are export models, the GW680 and GSW680 are Japan-only models, and the GW690 and GSW690 are available everywhere. See http://www.fujifilm.co.jp/gw690/gw690.html for the Japanese models.

Actually, there are currently FIVE GW/GSW "III" models. A GSW670III doesn't exist.

The "types" of rangefinders on the GS645 series and GW/GSW series are identical. GS645 series had built-in exposure meter and GW/GSW models don't. So if you really want to keep the system as small as possible, the 645 could be better for your choice. The problem is that the shutter unit for GS645 (#00) has long been discontinued and the camera might be more difficult to repair.

Hope this helps.

I use a GS645GS routinely and like it especially for it's weight and size (as well as nice lens). The meter is pretty accurate. I do mostly landscapes and nature and mostly use hyperfocal focus from the lens scale, but the superimposed image is a little dim. I would try to see one in camera store before buying if you will be wanting fast street/candid shots. The way the focus ring and shutter settings are arranged, I'm always goofing up one when I change the other - they seem to get in the way of each other. I think it's a very nice camera for the cost.

What is you planned use? <p>

Will you want "portrait" or "landscape" orientation of the image? <p>

GS645S is "portrait" when normally held. <p>

GW670 is "landscape" orientation when normally positioned. <p>

Would you want to have to tip camera "on end" for most of you shots? <p>

Both are excellent cameras.<p>

Larry <P>

Per the previous post - of course that is assuming you orient most of your photos horizontally. Many situations dictate certain photo orientation - vertical or horizontal. Some can be interpreted either way. Some landscape photographers tend to naturally take mostly horizontal photos, while there is a preference by those who display photos or publish them to have a good selection of verticals to fit certain walls and pages. Generally, I find that open landscapes are more conducive to horizontal while intimates more conducive to vertical. The GS encourages me to take more veriticals and I probably do about 50/50 vertical vs horizontal these days. Another topic I suppose, but thought I'd mention it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned two gs645s cameras. both times i sold them, both times i regretted

it.

I took them all over the worlld, Boston to Australia... and it is one of the best

travel cameras around. You have to get used to the vertical orientaion if you're

coming from a 35mm format- and, yes, the rangefinder can be abit hard to

use- I usually zone focused ("Hey that's about ten feet!" set the focus ring to 10

ft. and bang away) I have several 16x20's around our home of Australia and

Alaska that were taken with the GS 645S.... oh, hell- now I'm starting to miss it

again! I can't afford this again....

As far as portability/affordability/image quality it is a great little camera that

takes bigger negs. I couldn't drag my Hasselblads around where the Fuji

went!