What does KR64 look like in old (Contax RF) lenses? And Where?

<p>Hey folks,</p>

<p>I'm curious if anyone has some scans of KR64 shot through the older Contax RF mount lenses. I have three rolls to shoot and I'd like to grab some memories with a classic.</p>

<p>My limited experience has always seemed to fallen on overcast days, it didn't matter what film I was using, everything looked like Reala contrast wise.</p>

<p>Since I have your attention...I'm in the Norfolk, Va. area and have found it pretty boring photo wise, probably because I've been shooting average landscapes and just don't see anything that I'm used to. I only see touristy things in the area like Nauticus. Any suggestions? My dogs are getting bored of me taking their photo...</p>

<p>Thanks i advance for any examples-md</p>

<p>I can't help you with KR64 except to say it's gonna look like Kodachrome, but the other thing? Get the heck out of town! Get a map and check out the small towns between Norfolk and Washington, DC. Get in the car and take the back roads, not the interstate. If a town looks interesting, stop and take some pictures. Talk to the locals, they won't bite. Keep on to Philadelphia. Nice town. Some really nice architecture and best of all streetcars, traffic, and all the weirdo characters you can expect in a big city. Keep on through New Jersey and head into New York City. Find a place to leave the car and start taking the subway and buses all over the place. Guaranteed you'll find something interesting. Leave the dogs home.</p>

I really liked the Fredricksburg Area geographically interesting. A little bit up river was Fallmouth which I remember in the Fall was great as was the Northbank area around the city. Continuing north towards Mount Vernon and the other small town between the Beltway us US1 not 95 you'll find plenty of foddre for the Kodachrome. If people pictures are your kind of thing you need to make some friends. Dogs are great friends too! Enjoy the southern Hospitality!!

<blockquote>

<p> Any suggestions?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lock yourself in your bathroom with a camera and a long roll of film. Don't come out till you've made 36 beautiful compositions. Similarly, go to the park with a camera, a long roll of film and a hula-hoop. Find a spot, close your eyes turn around three times and throw the hoop. Stand in the hoop. Shoot the whole roll where the hoop lands making 36 beautiful compositions. That will help amp up your seeing. </p>

<p>I don't know, Louis, your first advice could lead to some serious domestic strife.<br /> I envision something like pounding on the door followed by "You what? Are you nuts?!? If you don't let me in right now there's gonna be a !#@$%&! beautiful composition all over this floor!!!"<br /> Voice of experience, and all that.</p>

<p>Thanks guys. Unfortunately circumstances have let me without a car, something about a drunk driver ran me over. Though I should have been killed, if I look at life before and after, I wish I were. But most would never identify with my values.</p>

<p>So travel is out of the question.</p>

<p>I agree that K64 in full shade isn't the most pleasant, and it's not a look I'm after. I took some photos of a really beautiful place in NM and ended up with a look so muddy it made my film rewind feel gritty.</p>

<p>I live near Va. Beach BLVD, a rather ugly place that seems to lead either nowhere or somewhere else promisingly more pleasant. It's dotted with used car lots, deserted used car lots or a used car lot under construction. The semi closed strip malls have at least one church, and it's a great place to visit a Salvation Army store or a DAV, a furniture store or Unclaimed Freight. If you want to wait, a bus will swing by and take you on a 2 hour 14 mile drive to the beach. The occasional fast food restaurant lends a meager upscale presence.</p>

<p>The close by "Town Centre" is an artificial construct that has no soul. Va. Beach BLVD is mostly a military place without the strip clubs.</p>

<p>The Norfolk naval architecture is fascinating and I'd love get close and photograph it. There may be some run down areas close to it that are accessible. In my dark mood I can't find the artificial fluff of Virginia streets interesting. Everywhere I go I see people like me, living on a margin thinner then dog food dinner.</p>

<p>So there's my self assignment.</p>

<p>Thanks guys!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thats it DiMarzio! .... you, your hood, the bus stop, people going and coming, derelict cars the whole "what's it like living in that corner of Virginia". Norfolk: inside/out. <br>

I've never seen Va. Beach Blvd. Show it to me. Save the touristy and fluff shots for the Sunday slide show. <br>

Tell us your story Michael, show and tell.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>One approach to use when faced with scenes that are boring or uninspiring is to look for details within them that might make interesting still lifes, or abstract patterns. Even the textures and colors of decaying buildings, metal, etc can make powerful photos. I don't know what it is called in technical terms, but the razor sharp "edge" definition of Kodachrome could dramatize the patterns in such subjects. But you have to get into a different way of visualizing a composition than that used to record streetscapes and other large subjects.</p>

<p>Paul, you're right about bright overcast skies.<br /> When I referred to dull days I meant really dull days-heavy overcast. I would not recommend it to someone who's only shooting a small quantity of the film.<br /> Even those days can can work really well if the aim is to portray dull conditions, go for muted colors, capture a mood, etc. I have quite a few taken under those conditions. It's nice to not have all scenes have the same bright look. A little overexposure will brighten up the shot but will not saturate it.<br /> <br /> Now bright overcast, that's something else! Strong complementary colors often pop under those conditions and look marvelous. Delicate colors emerge which sometimes don't in sunlight. The even light opens shadows, allowing more color and detail to be seen. The soft light lets the entire subject be seen well and extends the apparent dynamic range. I really love the light for pictures of flowers and plants, and for pictures of people. I think a lot of folks don't realize how delicate Kodachrome can be under soft light.</p>

<p>Still, gotta love those bright autumn days!</p>