Upgrading - wedding lens question

thesaltypeanut

<p>Greetings!</p>

<p>I'm upgrading - finally have enough to purchase the 7D. I'll be keeping the Canon T1i as my backup. My equipment is as follows:<br>

Canon 50mm f1.8 prime<br />Canon 18-55mm kit lens<br />Canon 55-250mm<br />Speedlite 580ex II<br>

Tamron 17-55mm 2.8 vc</p>

<p>Obviously my Tamron is my favored lens for an all around wedding lens. My quick question - would you suggest I buy the kit lens that comes with the 7D? Is is worth the extra money? It's a 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 and would cost $235 more.</p>

<p>If not, would you have any other suggestions for lenses that would compliment my other lenses? Or just stick with the 17-55? I do a lot of second shooting and have 2 weddings under my belt and am continuing to grow.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>First, it is a Tamron 17-50mm VC. The Canon equivalent goes to 55mm. Second--no, don't get the 28-135mm. I'd instead get an 85mm f1.8. Or if you want a tele-zoom, the Tokina 50-135mm f2.8. It has been discontinued and is a little hard to find, but you can still get used ones and occasionally, a new one. That is a very nice lens, but without IS. The 85mm prime would be more useful for low light, particularly ceremonies.</p>

<p>I would not. The lens sounds too slow for most wedding shots (unless you're outdoors) and does not provide you with a focal length not covered by your other lenses. I would pocket the $235 and save up for a fast telephoto zoom (the sigma/tamron 70-200 have enjoyed a decent reputation if the canon version is out of your price range).</p>

<p>I totally agree the Canon 85mm f/1.8 suggestion.</p>

<p>And since you're using a crop sensor (7D) I say sell your kit lens as well as your Canon 50mm 1.8 and get a Canon 35 f/2 instead. You'd get better results with that focal lenght and the lens opening is fast enough for most low light situations.</p>

<p>Having another speedlight wouldn't hurt either, in fact if you learn to how use manual flash you could buy 2-3 non-TTL speed lights like a Canon 540ez or a Vivitar 285hv, for the price of one 580ex II.</p>

<p>At the risk of going against the grain here, I've been using the 28-135 a lot. It's fine for wedding work if you know its limits.</p>

<p>Mine came with a 50D and I had it packed away because it was a "lowly" kit lens and I couldn't dirty my hands withs such a thing. A while back, after getting tired of the "focus dog" (85/1.8) hunting again at a reception I pulled out the 28-135 just for grins. It performed quite well and the focal range is just so convenient.</p>

<p>Outdoors it's no problem (any lens works outdoors) and I will use it if my 17-55 doesn't have the reach. Indoors is no problem either because I use flash 90% of the time. I just wish it had a constant aperture.</p>

<p> </p>

I wouldn't get the 28-135 but I would certainly retain your 50 f/1.8 which gives you an equiv FOV of an 80 f/1.8 On a crop it could be a little narrow but still pretty good for low light/no flash work. I haven't used the 35 f/2 but have read good things about it. I can't comment on the 55-250. Check your past jobs, see which focal length you use most on that lens when shooting weddings. You may well find it superfluous to your needs.

<p>So for now I'd only buy the 7D, shoot with that for a while and then figure out what to add, be it a flash or another lens.

<p>I wouldn't get it, not because it's not a fine lens, but because you already have the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-250 (not to mention the 17-50 2.8). What's the point of getting an overlapping focal length zoom without any added performance benefit?</p>