needed: a point and shoot

<p>I have never been let down by the advice I have received from these forums...so here is (yet another) question:</p>

<p>What's a good point and shoot? I don't care about brand (although I shoot Nikon) and my budget is $600 plus tax.</p>

<p><em>Ok, I want:</em><br>

1. the ability to set my own shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance, etc., just like my DLSR<br>

1a. I want pre-progammed modes too (macro, for example) so I don't always have to set the settings<br>

2. a really good auto focus system<br>

3. the ability to get wide angle and still have a good zoom <br>

4. I want video...I really do!<br>

5. good glass - I only get one lens on this baby, I want it to be fabulous<br>

6. high ISO capabilities that look better than my cell phone photos. if it says ISO 6400, then I want it to be not very noisy (I know this is a stretch, but surely there is a point and shoot that at higher than ISO 200 doesn't give me the noise I can get on my cell phone camera!)<br>

7. I want to be able to get big prints (so is that lots of megapixels?)<br>

8. built in flash<br>

9. the ability to shoot vivid color AND black and white (and sepia!)<br>

10. it needs to fit in a small bag, but not a pocket</p>

<p><em>What doesn't matter:</em><br>

1. what kind of battery/memory cards it takes (but it must need a memory card - I take far too many photos to rely only on the built in memory)<br>

2. if it has "smile mode"<br>

3. selective color selection...(I don't want that option, actually)<br>

4. if the onboard flash should only be used in a pinch<br>

5. the brand (which is why I posted this here...hope I picked the right forum!)</p>

<p>Gosh, I'm not picky at all! :)</p>

<p>I am considering the Nikon Coolpix P6000 with a wide angle adapter. However, I know Olympus has fabulous zoom capabilities on their point and shoots. I'd rather get a really good zoom and have to use a wide angle converter. (Yes, I use my 11-16mm a lot, almost as much as my 50mm.)</p>

<p>Why do I want this? I was on a trip recently, and carrying my camera, three lenses (50mm, 11-16mm, 75-300mm), flash, etc. and the friend I was travelling with was not so understanding that I was there for good photos as well as the trip...I figured with a good point and shoot, I could get nearly the same results as lugging all my gear. <br>

DISCLAIMER: I completely understand that I will not have the same capability as my DSLR and lenses. I am looking for a high quality, versatile, compact camera. It will be used for everything from impromptu portraits to landscapes to macro (not true macro, I know, but close up) to night life to etc. etc. Video is a must. </p>

<p>Thanks in advance! :)</p>

The Fuji F300EXR might be the only camera that meets all your criteria, with fast autofocus and 24-300mm (crop equivalent) lens. Not as much range as your 16.5-24 and 112.5-450 (crop equivalent) lenses, but maybe enough. The Panasonic LX5 will produce better results at high ISO but the lens is only 24-90. The Canon G11 and S90 lack HD video. Superzooms are all too big for you, I assume.

<p>Bill - thank you - I am looking into the Fuji F300EXR you mentioned.<br /> For the size, I'm not that picky, I just want something relatively compact - meaning superzooms are probably not out of my interest range. </p>

<p>Leslie - thank you - I'm looking for something with excellent image quality, and the ability to be used in a wide variety of shooting situations. My current DSLR doesn't have video...so getting the lens you suggest wouldn't work, video is a must have.</p>

<p>I understand that each element won't be the best of the best, but the more specific I was, I thought would help point me to a camera the is the best of this kind.</p>

<p>:)<br /> Thanks!</p>

<p>I also suggest a superzoom. Some good ones are the Panasonic FZ35, Canon SX20 IS, Nikon P100, and Fuji HS10. I had the FZ35 and I liked it but I hate power zoom. I traded it on an HS10 which has a manual zoom and I'm very happy with it. It's bigger than the others, but it's the only one with a manual zoom and it's the most SLR like of all of them. It also has buttons to operate most frquently used adjustments. I'm also a Nikon DSLR user and the HS10 has controls and menus very similar to Nikon's.</p>

<p>All of the superzooms suffer from the limitations of a small sensor, but if you stay within their limits, they can be very good.</p>

<p>I also have a Nikon P6000 and I like it very much, but you may find the zoom range limiting compare to a superzoom.</p>

<p>The G11. It's designed for serious photographers who want to leave the weight and bulk at home, but also who expect a few compromises. (You can't have it all!) The camera "feels" very much like a compact 35mm rangefinder, except that the lens is swallowed up inside the body. The camera is very popular among press photographers. My only gripe is that the buttons on the back are too easy to hit by accident, but once you learn how to hold it, your false button pushes will become infrequent. Best features are the optical viewfinder (great for full sun) and the hotshoe (with a VERY high X-sync speed that can be used for "day for night" photography).</p>

<p>With regard to your #6: The G11 a bit on the noisy side, compared to a dSLR. You can forget shooting at ISO 6400. A compact P&S just isn't going to deliver a good image at that ISO, even if you're able to use that setting. (I think the G11 goes up to 1600). That said, almost anything will look better than a cell phone image.</p>

<p>I have studied this question for nearly 10 years. I started out with a Fuji 6900z, followed by a Fuji S602. Both were more than adequate performers, but not really compact.</p>

<p>My current choices since 2004 have been the Canon Powershots. I have owned and passed on to relatives the A80, A95, A620, and now use the A650IS. They all have features that are desirable to me: an optical viewfinder, a flexible LCD, full manual control as well as auto modes, good macro, adequate video, and they all take four AA batteries, which make them very grippable, and provides added weight to dampen my old age shake. Use Lithium batteries in them, and they will last for over a year. If not, AA batteries are always available. Quality? I have made 12 by 18inch prints from the 5-meg A95 which are will nigh perfect to my eyes.</p>

<p>The A650 has image stabilization and a focal range of 35 - 210 mm (equiv). So the downside is limitattion on the wide side, and I would not use any P&S with ISO over 400, except under duress. The A650 is no longer in production, and you might have trouble finding a new one. The only other choice is the G11, which does go wide to 28mm. It uses a proprietary battery, howver, and I find it difficult to grip.</p>

<p>I have installed CHDK on my A650, and it now gives me the option of shooting raw of DNG as well as jpegs, a live histogram, very accurated battery usage data, and a host of other exotic features, and it is FREE.</p>

<p>At the more serious end, I use the Nikon D90 and D300. But when my wife and I went for an 8 day cruise on the Danube a year ago, my wife had the A620 and I had the A650, and we took hundreds of nice photos, with no worries about charging batteries, and I didn't have to wear a fireplug around my neck all day.</p><div>00X0Kd-266219684.jpg.fbab3ca1a90d26e4d8dd04c9e68d1989.jpg</div>

<p>Oh my! Thank you!</p>

<p>I have looked at several websites that review cameras (like dpreview), and the manufacturer's sites for each camera mentioned here, and I am torn between the Fuji HS10 and the Fuji F300EXR.<br>

I like how slim the F300EXR is, and the description of the color modes (sepia, black and white, normal, etc.) sound divine, they are compared to fugi film - but I'm thinking the Fuji HS10 has more of the quality I'm looking for. Several of you mentioned that I'd have to compromise, and I kind of think this is the best compromise...but the F300EXR still looks good too! </p>