Voltage converter for a battery charger?

k_baisinger

<p>Hi,<br>

I am heading to Turkey in a few weeks and will be taking my canon xsi. Can I just get a basic voltage converter to charge my battery? I just want to make sure, because I once had an unfortunate incident in Russia w/ a curling iron and voltage converter.</p>

<p>Most battery chargers for computers and camera batteries convert the voltage automatically. You probably just need a plug converter. Check the voltage rating on your charger. It should cover a range such as 110-240 volts. Then check the voltage in Turkey, it is probably about 220v.</p>

<p>Yes, lots of places sell the plug adapters (Google™ "power plug adapters", etc.), but most chargers will do all the power conversion necessary. Any surviving stores that sell luggage and travel supplies will also have them, at least the so-called "universal" adapter kits.</p>

<p>Wikipedia has a fairly decent discussion with country-specific details at <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets">LINK</a></p>

<p>Look at your currently used charger and read the fine "print" on its case.</p>

<p>One item there will end with a capital V for Volts. And it will be preceded by something like 100 - 240.</p>

<p>Then you would be ok most anywhere on the globe ... and in Turkey: 230 V 50 Hz, plug type C or F and C will suffice for both kinds on the wall.</p>

<p>Just google "line voltage Turkey" to understand how easy this is. Then get a US to type C converter plug locally (you would not be likely to find one in T ...; try Radio Shack, maybe, or google again ...). </p>

<p>Using a curling iron with a converter is a bad idea because it was probably not designed to take such a huge load. The battery charger should be universal. The sticker on the case will tell you as said above. If its not then a cheap converter should be fine for battery charging needs.</p>

<p>If you have more than one charger, it is useful to carry an outlet strip. That way you only need one outlet in the hotel room and one plug adapter. Make sure the strip can handle 240 VAC, however. It should not have a surge protector or circuit breaker, because these devices usually have a voltage limitation.</p>

<p>It would probably be cheaper and safer to buy a curling iron or hair dryer rated for that country's voltage than a converter. These devices draw a lot of current - more than the ratings of any converter I've seen that's actually portable.</p>