D700 live view

tom_dwyer

<p>I can't recall where, but I recently read info that stated one could use depth of field preview while in the D700's live view. This feature would be extremely helpful, but I havent' been able to actually make it work: When I press the DOF button, nothing happens. I'm now wondering if the camera is reading the f/stop setting and displaying in live view what the sensor ultimately sees. Is this possible? Does this feature truly exist on a D700?<br>

Thanks in advance for any responses.</p>

<p>Yup... it's showing the actual depth of field without DOF preview. An easy way to see this is to change the aperture while in live view (aperture priority). You'll see the DOF changing and possibly the noise level increasing as the (auto) ISO goes up (or shutter speed dropping).</p>

<p>Bob, is that true? Does Live View automatically stop down the lens? I just tried it on my D700 and it didn't appear to work that way.</p>

<p>IMHO, Nikon's Live View implementation is very seriously lacking. With "that other brand," you can use the DOF preview button in Live View - it works, I've verified it many times. You can use mirror lockup with Live View. You can use any of the available self-timer options with Live View (not just the "shutter delay" option).</p>

<p>I hope that Nikon's future cameras have a much better Live View implementation. It's pretty disappointing on my D700.</p>

<p>Ok... Mea Culpa. I've been working under the assumption that the D700 and D3 LV were pretty much the same. A little documented exception is, of course, that you don't see live DOF previews in the D700 version. There is some discussion in various places about setting the desired aperture before going into LV mode, but I haven't tried that.</p>

<p>Here's the response from Nikon Tech Support: "Thank for contacting Nikon Technical Support.<br /><br />Unfortunately, this feature is not available when Live View is being used.<br /><br />We apologize for the inconveniences."</p>