What flash unit do you use for wedding receptions?

rosalia_verskova

<p>I am currently using the Canon 430EX Speedlite with a portable softbox diffuser and am looking into upgrading my flash unit. My flash is still causing a direct harsh light on my subjects. I am ready to make a change.<br>

What kind of flash unit do you use to capture decent reception photos in low light venues?<br>

Thank you!</p>

<p>For soft light (non harsh) light, don't look to the flash, look to expanding the size of the source light. For instance, I don't know what size softbox you are using at a reception, but at the subject to light distances you are talking about, almost any size softbox save for maybe 5-8 foot ones, won't make much of a difference re soft light.</p>

<p>In dimly lit, small to medium venues, bouncing that speedlight off the ceiling and walls will get you much nicer (read softer) light.</p>

<p>If you are using the off camera flashes as accent lighting, it doesn't matter how soft it is. Hence, changing your speedlight to another flash--even one that produces a larger spot of light--isn't going to change your results much.</p>

<p>However, since you want to know, I use two Sunpak 120Js as off camera lights. Sometimes I use my Metz MZ54-i, and even my Morris wide slave, sometimes. In smaller/medium rooms, it is quite adequate. I hung one from a light fixture this past weekend, and it was great, because I didn't have to set up a stand.</p>

<p>The standard answer is bounce ... with caveats ... providing that the bounce surface is close enough for a smaller speed-light to be effective, and the surface is a relatively neutral color.</p>

<p>However, if you are getting harsh results while using off-camera lights in concert <strong>with</strong> an on-camera flash, then the light balance between the two is off.</p>

<p>Harsh usually means high contrast (as opposed to over-exposed). You most certainly can use direct diffused light without bouncing IF the fill level is mitigating the one directional contrast caused by the off-camera flash.</p>

<p>Think of a round ball lit from the side. Half is lit .... while the dark side isn't. Now add the <em>right level of light</em> straight on at the ball, and the contrast level is evened out. How much it is evened out can be controlled by the on-camera flash compensation and lens aperture selected.</p>

<p><strong>Here is an example:</strong> direct, small source light from the right side ( Elinchrom Quadra flash on a light stick about 15 feet away using a very small umbrella ... on-camera flash (Metz shoe-mount speed-light) directly aimed at the subject with no diffuser. <em>Selection of a higher shutter speed was done to eliminate background hub-bub that was going on at this reception location ... i.e., the opposite of "dragging the shutter".</em></p>

<p> </p><div>00Wz9G-265435584.jpg.6c672ca8abe2e44bb236128eaa17cf91.jpg</div>

That's a great show-and-tell image, Marc. I concur with others, take off the softbox as it's sucking up a lot of flash power and use bounce. Ceilings, walls, even white table linen can provide some great surfaces for enlarging your light. Note also that no matter how much you prepare, some venues will not always lend themselves to bounce-flash, so you need to be flexible and quick on your feet to adapt accordingly. Also, sometimes high contrast works well too :)

<p>Michelle -- </p>

<p>I shoot Nikon and use the SB-900. Here's something to look at rather than the little softbox you are using:</p>

<p>http://www.dembflashproducts.com</p>

<p>I have the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro, but rarely ust the little diffuser part...I generally stick to the Flip-It portion as it directs the flash adequately.<br>

It's in my bag 100% of the time, just in case the venue I'm at doesn't have low enough/neutral enough ceilings to bounce off of. It also works well outdoors when directed properly. You can always fashion a Bounce card from just about anything white and tape it to your flash unit, but I find this much easier.</p>

<p>Just my $.02<br>

RS</p>

<p>Thank you for your responses! :-) I was in a reception room that was medium size and the ceiling was weird shape with wooden beams and it was well lit up in the beam section and dark down where the guests were at. So, I had no ceiling to bounce my flash off of and even the side walls were not too good either. I used this little portable softbox attached to my flash but as I study my images I don't think it really helped me at all. So, no more attached softboxes. I am going to look into getting some additional off camera lighting to set up around the room. Thank you again for your responses! </p>