Voigtlander Bessa

<p>Hi there. I just took delivery of my new old Bessa that I bough trough a well known online auction for $25 it's in Mint condition. Person selling it didnt know anything about it and not too many pictures either. It looks great, the only thing is that shutter hangs up at 1/2 and 1 sec. other than that it works good. I would like to know what year it was manufactured it bears serial # 3029925 it does not have waist level finder only eye level primitive viewfinder that pops up. Lens is Vaskar f4.5 105mm. The focus is not one of those zone (portrait, landscape) it has a scale in feet. Shutter is Prontor S and it ranges from 1sec to 1/250 and B also there is T but I dont know what it does. Would anyone know at around what year it was produced?. I will post some photos of the camera once I'll get home. Also I want to try a roll of film in it but need to read more about advancing it since I dont know where to stop, camera does have two orange colored windows that oepn and close to check the frame count but I just dont know how to look for it. Oh it also came with 4.5x6 mask maybe that will help to determine the production year.<br>

Thank you</p>

<p>Tony - Thank you<br>

Gabor you might've missed it because the description was crappy, seller said that they didnt know if the camera worked OK and when asked about lens fungus response was that they were no expert on fungi. Also it was Auction format with buy it now option not too many people like buy it now option. $25 plus flat rate shipping of $12. Turns out that the camera is better - way better than described.</p>

<p>I was just reading a manual and have no idea how to advance the film and which red window I use to make sure that I am exposing correct frame. I know that one of those windows is for 6x4.5 and other is for 6x9. Also the 120 film that I am using had arrows that are lined up with arrows in the camera at least in my Yashica, do I pay attention to the arrows at all?<br>

Any help would be great</p>

<p>When the 6x4.5 mask is inserted, the correct red window will be opened automatically ( at least on my Bessa I that's what happens ). You advance frame #1 to first window , shoot, and advance till #1 is in second window... shoot again.... for 16 6x4.5 shots per roll.</p>

<p> The red window towards the film advance crank should be the one for 6x9 ( you can block it closed with the little wheel and open it when going to the next frame ). 8 shots per roll, naturally. <br>

All markings should line up ..... no matter what 120 film you use. You'll see the arrows and/or dots,, then the number.</p>

<p> </p>

I have the just slightly newer model, still not a rangefinder, but with a very similar top plate to the rangefinder version. The lens and shutter is the same as yours, and I suspect pretty much all mechanics are too. I have the original 6x45 mask too ^_^.

It's a fairly good camera, though the lens and the scale focusing conspire to make the results just a little soft. Of course, with a 6x9 size negative, even "a little soft" is still more detail than my DSLR gives me. It's easy to use, but if you can find an accessory rangefinder it really helps quite a lot. The 6x4.5 mask is a little frustrating, as the finder framelines don't actually match up well in my camera, so it's pretty much hit and miss if you get the image you thought you took.

When I first got hold of it, I wrote up my initial impressions here: http://janneinosaka.blogspot.com/2008/08/voigtlnder-bessa.html

Here's the latest roll I've taken with it, earlier this summer: Flickr Search

<p>Janne It sure is a lovely classic camera and I am looking forward to use it maybe even this weekend.<br>

Lovely pictures.</p>

<p>Chuck Thank you for the link. Now I want to see my teenage sister's face when she'll see it. She probably ask me where the screen is ;-).</p>

<p>thank you everyone for your time. I do however have one more issue. I tried to load film and I dont want to use 6x4.5 mask for this particular roll, I want it to be 6x9 but when removed it the only orange windown that opens is the one away from the film advance crank. When I do put the mask back in the window closer to the film advance opens. Never two windows open as Gabor mentioned would be needed to shoot 6x4.5. Hmmm am I doing something wrong is there anything I need to press to make it work? or does it just work this way and for 6x9 I need to be using window away from the crank? but what bothers me is the fact that with mask in I cannot open both windows to view numbers for 4.5 frames. Unless there is something happening when the film is inserted, I just dont want to waste good roll. Any advice? Thank you</p>

<p>Kris,<br>

Make sure the 645 mask is inserted properly.The hole in the mask should catch with the tiny pin at the film gate.<br>

Maybe the red windows have a different orientation. On one of my Bessa's they're at the top by the viewfinder, on my Bessa I they're at the bottom. <br>

If you're just doing 6x9 and have only one window to work with, it doesn't matter much which one it is. There's enough film at the beginning of the roll ...... just land your numbers in the same place inside the window for even spacing of the negatives.</p>

<p> </p>