Number of shots per event

anne_paula

<p>Wow! How far this topic is going uh?! <br>

William, I just wanted to ask you one more (hopefully last!) thing. Hehehehe<br>

I forgot to mention to one of my clients, how long it would take to delivery the final results, and the amount of pictures... So, guess what... They just called me asking for the pictures for TODAY because they are leaving tomorrow to the US. And I didn't even made the first selection because I'm still working on the other wedding... But for the other one I asked for 10 days. I explained that I have a online gallery with password that they can get it there soon. Ok...</p>

<p>But, they want all the pictures!!! He said (a bit stressed) that he knows that it doesn't cost me ANYTHING! And I said that it does take me a lot of time to edit all the photos and that time is money... And I delivery only my selection. </p>

<p>So, I want to make a contract... I didn't have one, didn't even thought of it... I'm looking online to have a idea of how to make it. But I'd very much appreciate if I could have some opinions here, I don't want to make it to much because they are never gonna understand... But I was thinking about putting the hours of coverage (on my first job I worked 6 hours more than I should, but its ok, because I kind of wanted it just to learn more about their traditions), the number of pictures delivered, the payment, the deadline delivery... Is there anything very important missing?</p>

<p>I'm really thankful for all the help that I'm getting here! <br>

Jessy D.</p>

<p>Hey Jessy, <br>

Instead of wading into this clearly deep thread, I thought I'd post this great link to photographer Daniel Milnor's blog where he talks about his wedding work, and how he'd pushed back against clients who just aren't for him (i.e. those who want thousands of images).<br>

He takes 2 cameras, 2 lenses and one flash. Truly a refreshing read and approach. <br>

<a href="http://www.smogranch.com/whats-old-is-new-return-to-weddings/">http://www.smogranch.com/whats-old-is-new-return-to-weddings/</a><br>

As for myself, for an 8-hour wedding I'm shooting 1200-1500 images and delivering 300-400. </p>

<p>William, it's great to hear someone mention the exhaustion of wedding photography. I thought I might be the only one who felt like they'd been hit by a truck after shooting!</p>

<p>Jessica, I limit the number of weddings I shoot to two per month. My contract states that I'll deliver portrait session images within two weeks, wedding images within four to six weeks. Even with that, one of my brides this past May kept contacting me (and having the wedding coordinator contact me) asking when the images would be ready. It was extremely irritating. You just have to get used to some things.</p>

<p>Regarding the number of images, that varies greatly for me. I've had brides book me based on the fact that they saw really nice emotions or moments in my images, or because everything looked so beautiful at some weddings I've featured. And when I showed up to shoot their weddings, the personality types were different...the weddings were different. I want to explain this correctly so I don't get flamed here. On these occasions, the bride, groom, family members, friends, were dull and basically emotionless. No one jumped up and got crazy when they were dancing or cried during the kiss...that type of thing. So sometimes, depending on the party, there are a lot less moments to capture. If something's going on, I love it, and I'll shoot as much as I possibly can. The day goes faster, and I'm laughing and smiling the whole time. But when you get stuck with a bunch of wall flowers, and no one is showing much emotion, it's awful. And those brides always want to know why their images don't look as good.</p>

<p>@ Doug: THANKS for posting that link to Daniel Milnor's blog. His background is different from mine, but I have struggled in my own way with the problems he describes and have come to very similar conclusions. I almost cried reading his post—it was like reading Tom Cruise's manifesto ("It's just a mission statement") in Jerry Maguire. </p>

<p>@ Rae: Boy, have you spoken the truth in your last paragraph about wall-flower weddings: "sometimes, depending on the party there are a lot less moments to capture..." Actually, I don't think it's necessarily about people going crazy. But I shot one wedding where the groom seemed to have a headache all day (sad), another one where the parents of the groom were in a bad mood, etc. It's part of the reality of weddings—at my own wedding, my mother-in-law was in a funk the whole time—but it doesn't make for great, heart-warming photographs.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Will, yes, that's exactly what I mean. I've just learned it's not only limited to weddings. I shot an engagement session the other day. The bride is the sweetest girl EVER. I did her senior portraits when she graduated a few years back, and she's adorable. The groom was distant through the whole engagement shoot. Halfway through the session, I was following them around and shooting. She leaned in to kiss him, and he said, "Stop. Your breath STINKS." Mean and loud. We were at this beautiful location we had to travel to get to, so my own fiance was there, as well, so we could make an evening of it for ourselves afterward. He and I just looked at each other, stunned. The wedding is on the 14th. I feel so sorry for the bride. </p>

<p>Jessica,</p>

<p>I have the same lens and flash and body as you. However, I never use them as my main body. I use the D300s (dual cards) and a 17-55/2.8 plus sb900. Not much less weight, but it does make a difference.</p>

<p>As for your MO. I use a black rapid dual strap with two cameras hanging there at all times. It really reduces the strain and when you're not shooting, you can let them down by your side to give your hand a break. If you can use lighter lenses with two bodies it may help (D700+35/2+sb900 and another with the 85/1.8 and no flash)??</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There's a balance between "machine gunning" and "I set this shot up perfectly, it's beautiful, but my autofocus failed and they had their eyes closed so now this shot is worthless." I am of the school that carefully sets up shots, but then fires off a couple of each pose as insurance against closed eyes, funny momentary expressions, or focus failure (I virtually always shoot wide open on prime lenses, so this becomes a big big deal). </p>

<p>There's a balance to be had, and throwing out terms like "machine gunning" is counterproductive IMO. One of the advantages of a digital camera is you can pop off a couple extra when you are shooting at f1.4 to insure yourself against someone moving a quarter inch during a posed shot. Your style, choices, etc. may vary.</p>

<p>Balance is good, Juanita. I thought you must have been on holiday. Oh to be so balanced all the time to have holidaze! <br>

Balancing "Machine Gun" with "One Shot" is also one technique for pulling a Shot Hand Held at a slow Tv (Shutter Speed). If one pulls three shots: the middle one usually has least shake.</p>

<p>WW</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I did 600 at my last wedding which was from the bride getting ready to the father dancing with the brides mother. I didnt have to Paparazzi anybody to death for that either given the time it was over. I watched a photographer shoot a wedding the other day and he took one picture of the bride getting out the of the car , he took a few of the mother and two sisters fixing the dress , the squeeze of hands and hugs , things like that, it was great to watch him at work.Roll forward a few days later, different wedding ,different photographer, he pepppered the scene with a strobe , looked like a press conference with POTUS, i think he took 30 shots alone in the walk of the bride and groom down the aisle ( short ) after getting married, disaster. I think a good photographer who knows whats happening there should not have a problem selling himself against such work. I know guys who will turn that type of bride down if after explaining to her that she wont look pretty in most of them ( ie she wont want to put them on facebook ( gasp !! ) she still thinks that the 2000 shots guy is the best.</p>