Big Basin Redwood State Park in August?

jkaufman

<p>Greetings All: I will be traveling between San Francisco and Monterey during the first half of August, and would like to spend a few hours hiking and shooting in Big Basin Redwood State Park. Can anyone recommend one or more favorite spots in the park? Thanks.</p>

<p>You know, Big Basin headquarters is a little out of the way if you're just doing a day trip from SF. Instead look into Butano State Park just south of Pescadero. Also there's Sam McDonald County Park near Loma Mar or Purissima Redwoods Open Space Preserve near Half Moon Bay. All have nice hiking trails, and are pretty accessible from Highway 1 south of Half Moon Bay. You can get the same redwoods experience with fewer people. Drive down Highway 1 from Pacifica: you can take in the redwoods and catch a nice lighthouse (Pigeon Point) and some great Beaches (San Gregorio, Pescadero, Pebble) on the way. If you just have to do Big Basin, consider a hike from Waddell Creek on the coast up to Berry Creek Falls and back. Lots to choose from. Have fun.</p>

<p>Steve: Thanks for the detailed recommendations. I will have a few days between Santa Cruz and Monterey. Having looked at the map to locate the various parks and open spaces, it does appear there are quite a few options close to Santa Cruz.</p>

I second Steve's recommendation about Butano. It is one of those hidden gems that is better than the better known Big Basin for a redwood experience. It has a campground if you have the equipment. Otherwise there are plenty of local motels to stay at. There is a hostel at Pigeon Point you can stay at, Duarte's at Pescadero is a good place to eat.

Danny

<p>Just south of Santa Cruz is the Forest of Niscene Marks State Park. The epicenter of the big 1989 quake was in here. Also a great redwood experience. Since we're also into restaurant recommendations, don't leave out Los Amigos in Pescadero (in the gas station) - a great burrito. The Roadhouse in Davenport is a nice stop.</p>

Don't overlook Muir Woods National Monument, at least if you can visit very early in the morning before the crowds arrive,

I live in the SF Bay Area and frequently shoot in many of the locations mentioned here and still find Muir to be a wonderful

and accessible place to shoot.

But do arrive early! I usually enter this park before the official opening, and I'm frequently the first to arrive in the parking

lot.

Dan