EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM??????

todd_kurtz

This lens is replacing the classic, tried & true, highly consumer

rated 28-70L. Supposedly it'll be available to the general public in

Nov., but I'm wondering if a professional out there has been able to

get there hands on one before the general release. What are your

thoughts? Is it as sharp and well constructed as the classic 28?

I'm definitely in the market for this lens but want to know if it's

actually better than the 28. I'm definitely of the mind set that is

cautious about new products. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's

better. Case and Point, the older 50mm Mk1 is considered a better

lens than the new 50mm currently available.

Does one go with the classic, tried & true, or wait for the new,

latest & possibly greatest?

If it won't do anything to make better images why would it cost $2000? Let's face it, there are situations where it will help you make better images (like photographing wedding receptions). Or do you prefer black backgrounds because you lens was too slow to record ambient lighting and pentagonal specular highlights because your aperture was far from circular?

an expensive lens (with larger aperture and stuff) will give you more FREEDOM in creating the image, but the final image is still created by the photographer, I think that's what he meant.

If the hall is too dark, don't expext an extra stop from the lens will do much. Light the hall up is a way to go. And that is not done with a lens, but with multi-lighting set ups.

Thanks for the link Robert. That was the only page I could find as well. I'm not sure how much weight to put into MTF charts, but it looks like the new lens performs better at 24 and the old one better at 70. I guess it's not really an apples to apples comparision because the MTF for the old lens is at 28 while the new at 24. However I would think it to be more difficult to get center to corner sharpness at 24 than 28.

I'm guessing the new lens will be approx. $300 more expensive than the old one based on sug. retail pricing..about the cost of the 24mm f2.8 prime which I don't have yet, but would like. Leaving the question...is the construction better on the new lens? Is it as sharp? Do I really need the 24 in the zoom or should I get the old tried & true, then get the 24 prime down the road if I want/need it. I've got the 20mm prime and love it...would I really need/want to fill that gap between the 20 and the 28? Questions I really need to answer myself, but it fun to get em out there...

The 28-70 will most likely be discontinued. I'ts apparently a fine lens and Canon is offering a $100 rebate. I too am waiting to see how the new 24-70 stacks up. I'm tempted because of the circular aperture and the weather sealing, as I do a lot of shooting in damp (Olympic National Park) climate. However, if it isn't at least as good opticially as the 28-70, I'll get the old one. Hopefully we'll know the optical results before the rebate expires.

More FREEDOM to create images is one thing that gets you BETTER images. If it wasn't, all photographers (be they nature oriented, event oriented, journalistic or whatever) would all be running around with prime lens point and shoots...

And let me assure you the syncronized off camera multi flash setup isn't free either...

My point is simply that when someone asks about specific equipment and someone else basically says, "It doesn't matter... Learn to use what you have," it's just not helpful at all. Some people do need the good stuff. Of course if the post was of the "I have the Rebel 2000 and I want to know if I should buy a 20mm prime or the 100-400 IS next or maybe a macro lens" variety... well... that would be different, but otherwise give the original questioner a little credit.

Sorry, it's just one of those tired responses that I see all the time until finally I start to lose it... (Like the Canon 50 1.8 worship around here that led me to buy that terrible flimsy noisy slow focusing distance scale lacking lens... a lens that I TRULY didn't need.)

Hmm... I seem grumpy... Will go now... Peace...

Yes, the new 24-70mm f/2.8L is built better than the 28-70mm. In addition to gaining an extra 4mm at the wide end, the new lens has the same improved weather sealing, mount gasket, and circular aperture for better bokeh embodied by the new 16-35L and 70-200L IS and probably has less plastic and better construction

Thanks for the comments, including the grumpy ones :)

I actually took advantage of that $100 rebate and wasn't aware of the reasons why Canon was offering this rebate. It sparked my curiousity because I couldn't understand why Canon would offer such a nice rebate on that top notch lens. Upon research, I discovered the reason why...the 24-70L replacement.

So basically the 28-70L is being shipped to me now and I'm debating if I should send it back while I can, then see how the 24-70 stacks up in the next few months.

Thanks again for the feedback.

There's really not going to be a lot of difference, other than the extra 4mm. The 28-70 is lighter and will be cheaper until the 24-70 has become more established. People rave enough about the 28-70 that even if the 24-70 is slightly better (and it's certainly not going to be night and day difference), it certainly isn't ever going to make the 28-70 a bad lens.

My thoughts on the lens are that I want the 24-70, and was never hugely interested in the 28-70. I like having the 24mm wide end (I presently use a 24-85 as my standard), and don't need anything beyond 70mm (I have a 70-200 F4L for that). As such, the 24-70 is definately on my list of wants, although affording it may take a couple of years.

I was disappointed because my objections to the 28-70 was that it's too short at the long end, so I still need to carry another lens. 28mm is my standard wideangle, but 85mm at the very least would have been the deciding factor for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Todd,

I don't know if you have received your 28-70 yet. But I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I too have been waiting for this lens. I am currently using the 28-135 IS to fill this gap in my kit. I am dissapointed that this lens does not have more reach on the long end as well, considering that several other manufacturers have a 24-105 etc.. However it looks like Canon have gone for quality, which is a good thing.

To answer your question; it really depends upon what you plan to use it for. Personally, being a wide angle fan, I would opt for the 24 as it offers more range. the difference between 24 and 28mm is substantial and cannot be added later. Look at it this way, for an additional $300 or so you get a very good 24mm (the additional zoom) and no extra weight. If you plan to by a 24mm later then I would go with the Tilt Shift.

Good luck

Andy