645 MF Fuji vs Mamiya for outdoor city photography

marissa_wunch

<p>Hi Everyone!<br>

I would like to hear your opinion regarding the 645 MF cameras. I am looking for a fast, fairly small and versatile camera that would be close to a 35mm feel. I mostly do street photography, landscapes, architecture, I don't usually do candid shots of people or close-ups. <br>

I'm not looking for TLR, I have a Yashica 124 and love it, but it takes me on average 3 minutes to compose, meter, etc. plus I need something fairly discreet and this beauty attracts too much attention. Also, I feel that for the kind of architectural/street scenes that I'm interested in, square format doesn't work that well.<br>

After reading hundreds of posts on this board regarding compact MF rangefinders I decided on these two cameras: Fuji 645 Pro (or 645 ZI) and Mamiya 645 Pro. Fuji looks more compact, has a built-in flash plus zi model has a zoom lens. On the other hand, Mamiya has a more attractive lens although the body looks bulkier than Fuji. I also read that there are problems with Fuji viewfinders covering only 90% of the image, that would be a huge problem for me.<br>

Please let me know your experiences and opinions with both cameras.<br>

Much appreciated,<br />Marissa</p>

<p> </p>

<p>They are very different, the Mamiya is a system camera and the Fuji is pretty much stand-alone.<br>

<br /> The Fuji 645s all have fixed lenses and the film travels in a typical right-left path, much like a 35mm film SLR.<br>

The Mamiya 645 Pro is highly modular, encompassing prisms, viewfinders, winders, lenses and film backs.<br>

The film travel on a 645 SLR is rather tortured and thus the depth of the Mamiya is quite a bit more than the Fuji.<br>

<br /> If you want small and discreet, get one of the Fujis, personally I'd try to snag an autofocus version for "blind" shooting.<br>

<br /> Start simple, is my advice.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You probably need to actually try a Fuji before you decide. I had one of the rangefinders and I will tell you that I have probably never had a finer lens on a camera, however, the ergonomics were just awful. The aperture, shutter speed and focus rings are all on the lens and many times (shooting on the street) all in the same place (the raised control for the rings) so that moving just one was almost impossible--maybe I just have too big of fingers for it!?! Another issue for me was the rangefinder focus--two image alignment type. It was so small that is was unusable in low light and barely so in medium conditions--fine in bright. I have a Mamiya 7 and have never had any of those problems. So, it may not be all models of Fuji, and I loved the images from it (more than the Mamiya's I have owned--RB/RZ/645af) but I sold it to an assistant who found it ok, but also sold it after not long.</p>

<p><em>I feel that . . . square format doesn't work that well. After reading hundreds of posts on this board regarding compact MF rangefinders . . . .</em></p>

<p>You may be somewhat confused. The Mamiya M645 system is an SLR system, not a rangefinder system. All else being equal, an SLR will be bulkier than a rangefinder--the mirror takes up significant space. Mamiya does make a modern medium format rangefinder, the Mamiya 7, but it is a 6x7; Mamiya also made a similar Mamiya 6 rangefinder in 6x6.</p>

<p>Also, the Fuji GA-645 Zi is not really a regular rangefinder; AFAIK, it has an autofocus system. Note too that the zoom lens is not very zoomy--about the equivalent of a 33-55mm zoom on a 35mm camera, IIRC.</p>

<p>Thanks for your replies everyone! I guess portability and discreetness are on the top of my list, so Fuji AF looks like a good choice. I will first try to find both cameras at a used store and see how they are.<br>

As all of you mentioned, I need to decide if I want a system that I can grow with by adding lenses, digital backs, etc. in which case I will need to go with Mamiya.</p>

<p>The zoom is very slow on the GA-645 Zi as well, so if you go with that model you will need to stick with fast film. The non-zoom GA, though has a faster, semi-wide 60mm f4 lens. Now, if you don't mind autofocus (you can preset or use RF) look for a used Fuji 645 Wide. Same lens as GA, but rangefinder and mechanical leaf shutter good up to 1/500 second so X sync at any shutter speed. It has match diode exposure. I carry one for mechanical back up when using my Mamiya 645 E's for weddings and speciall events. There is an even wider manual focus Fuji 645 that has a 45mm f5.6, but it's zone focus.</p>

<p>I have a GA645Zi, bought the last new one for sale in the US out of BH Photo 5 or 6 years back. When I first got it, although I loved the 645 chromes, I almost sold it a few times. But very glad I didnt, it has turned out to be one of the best photography purchases I have ever made - and I have LOTS of cameras.<br>

Anyways, it is very light and fast/easy to use. the zoom is truely useful, and the built in flash extreemly useful. The lens is super sharp, and the results superb. It is basically a MF Point and Shoot that gives MF SLR quality results.<br>

The downsides are: polarizers are difficult to use, it doesnt focus closer than 1.0 meter, the lens is slow at f4.5-6.9, fine for outdoors use, but requires flash for indoors, or fast 400/800 film. Note however, that with static subjects, the fact that it doesnt have mirror slap allows one to handhold maybe 2 stops slower with sharp results. I have done 1/10 sec bracing myself with sharp results. Also, zoom range is limited at 32-60mm in 35mm equiv.<br>

If you can live with these constraints, Highly Recommended!</p>

<p>Don't forget that the Fuji 645's are normally vertical orientation. You have to turn them on the side to do horizontals. Not a big thing but something to think about if you normally do mostly horizontal pictures. I also love my Fuji 645Zi. Great camera for what it is.</p>