Newbie Hasselblad viewfinder question

telavivim

<p>Hi all<br /> I've recently bought myself a 501c, with a waist level viewfinder. (and a 150 CF lens).<br /> Immediately as I loaded a film and set out to catch my first victims,<br /> I was kind of put out by the low vantage point.<br /> The camera is at, well, waist height. Ok, chest height,<br /> and I find it too low for most portraits. <br /> So, I was wondering if I should get a 90 degrees pentaprism.<br /> I wanted to hear your remarks and wisdom first,<br /> as I'm new to this system.<br /> <br /> Thanks!<br /> Itai</p>

<p>http://www.flickr.com/photos/itaib/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>By all means, if you find the waist level perspective too low, do find a way to raise the camera, yes!</p>

<p>The best prism perhaps to raise the camera would be a 90 degree prism. The 45 degree<br>

'works' best, is most ergonomical, but will not raise the camera quite as high as a 90 degree prism.</p>

<p>But are you sure that it's not either a matter of getting used to or just setting the camera up higher, or both?</p>

<p>You will find that the WLF is great for portraits where the camera is mounted on a tripod and the subject is seated...it gives a "straight-on" perspective that looks very natural in a studio setting. For "street photography" and "candid" portraits, you'll like a prism better. I have both 45 and 90 degree prisms in my kit and find I use the 45 most, but there are times when the 90 can't be beat! By the way, these things go so cheap used on eBay that there is almost no excuse not to have both! Old and scratched-up on the outside doesn't matter in a non-meter prism...just give it a coat of spray paint when you get it and it'll look like new...get a guarantee from the seller that its funtional, though there is little to go wrong with a non-metering prism unless somebody dropped it and litterally broke the inside glass prism. Oh, also, the Kiev 66 prism (all 45 degree, I think) fits the 'blad and works fine, but almost never has an accurately working meter.</p>

<p>A prism very well may help. I found one helped me in that regard. I suggest that you try using a step-stool for a while before spending money. Then you will be sure if your needs will be met by the extra equipment. The trade-off is that the prisms are heavy. Even with the prism there are times I find a step-stool to be useful... and safer than a pair of stilts.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your inputs.<br>

Well, I just got back from a 2-3 hours walk with the camera, and It has it's plus and minuses.<br>

On the plus side, looking down at the glass is a. beautiful, and b. really helps with the composition.<br>

There was a significant percentage of shots that benefited from this perspective.<br>

The camera is actually quite compact and holdable.<br>

Working with the magnifying glass flip up-down is a bit annoying though.<br>

The thing doesn't latch good, and jumps up into my nose from time to time...:-)<br>

But, and it's a big but for me (:-)), I am more of a snap-shooter, I take pictures in the street/events, and I wanted a medium format to come along with me. I need a faster system actually.<br>

I think a Mamiya 6 or 7 might fit this need of mine better, the 90 prism is OK, but as Hugo mentioned, I'm afraid it will not be so comfortable to hold like that.<br>

In any case, I will spend more time with this camera, to get the hang of it better.<br>

Thanks!<br>

Itai</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A whole generation of street and even portrait photography was shot at waist level.Today it can be kind of refreshing and is ideal for children, small people, and pets.<br>

In addition to eBay (and also found on it), some of the Kiev metered and other prism finders (<a href="001zWH">link</a>) work on some Hasselblads.</p>

Suggest to read this:

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-

frameset.html?Hasselblad500.html~mainFrame

I found that if you like 35mm way, the big Pentax 67 is better. But

after getting 7 lens on that system, when the chip is down and I can

only carry 1 system for a family trip - I choose hessey. The

possibility of wlf and 45deg prism actually is the deciding factor, as I

found it very hard to use the wlf of the Pentax 67. I found it hard to do macro on the ground level with Pentax. It is doable but not great. Also have to be careful to avoid lost of a few frame due to change of head. Hessey has no issue.

I got the old meted hasselbald 45 degree prism but it is useless.

Reading prism head page above, I decide one time I will get my

203fe and hence a non-metered 45 degree prism with cut out was

what I got. It is great to go with wlf.

For me 90 degree prism is not a good choice. I think it is very difficult

to hand hold hussey like that, I will like my Pentax 67 more. Also,

when we won the lottery, I was told that some digital back cannot fit

a 90 degree prism.