DSLR (DX) alternate for 50mm film lens

riz

<p>Yes, Sigma's 30/1.4 or Nikon's 35/1.8. The Sigma is a little faster and a little wider, but also physically larger and more expensive. Very nice lens. The Nikon is smaller and lighter, but well liked for the price. Both of these lenses have built-in AF motors, so they'll work even with the less expensive entry-level Nikon DSLR bodies. If you have a body that has an onboard AF motor (like the higher-end Nikons), then you can also look at lenses like the 35/2. </p>

<p>My favourite (and quite resident on my camera lately) is the AiS 35mm f/1.4, it is stunning. Arguably the Zeiss ZF 35 f/2 is a more impeccable performer. Both lack AF, though, if AF is a requirement, the mentioned 35 f/1.8 and Sigma 30 f/1.4 seem to me the best choices. I have the AF-D 35 f/2, and it's very good, but I don't believe it is better than the 35 f/1.8, while being more expensive.<br>

Depends a little, hence, on which body it will go, what the budget is and how much value AF has.</p>

<p>35mm f/2 AFD. Excellent, compact, a "Normal" field of view. Equiv to 52mm lens on FX.</p>

<p>28mm f/2.8 AF or AFD. Equiv to 42mm on FX. Same as above, not as fast, but it's closer to the definition of a "Normal" lens... That is, focal length = image diagonal.</p>

<p>And, the 50mm itself for portraits on DX. But, that's not your question.</p>