Using dry ice in the studio ???

leighb

<p>I don't know where to put this since there's no "studio" or "product" category.</p>

<p>I have a shoot coming up that requires use of dry ice in a small bowl (in the shot) to create "vapor" or "fog" dispersing over the table top.</p>

<p>I've never worked with dry ice before.</p>

<p>Any suggestions as to how this can be done with minimal effort/aggravation?</p>

<p>Thanks much.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

1) Only use what you need. A little goes a long way.

2) Keep your extra dry ice sealed in a cooler (sounds obvious but I've been on shoots where it was left out and

disappeared rather quickly).

3) If the dry ice is to be visible in the bowl then supplement with normal ice on the bottom just setting the dry ice on

top (no need to use more dry ice than needed so you don't run out mid-shoot).

4) If you really want to make people in the room cry, lick a metal spoon and then push the curved side of the spoon

as hard as you can into the dry ice. Believe me, there's no describing it, you just have to experience it.

5) Gloves. Don't touch.

6) The CO2 is heavier than air so it will pool in the dish or spill onto the floor. Use this to your advantage (creates a

waterfall effect).

7) Don't use fans to blow it around or you lose the smooth silky effect; just wave your hand lightly to move it around.

8) It's CO2. Don't breathe it (exposure is fine, just don't stick your face in the bowl and inhale it for 10 minutes).

9) To clear the scene between takes just take something heavy (binder, book, etc.) and cover the bowl of dry ice

then use a fan to blow all the vapor away. Then slowly pull the cover off the bowl creating as little turbulence as

possible. Doing this resets the waterfall falling out of the bowl onto the table.

All I can think of off the top of my head.

<p>Thank you, Sean. That's great info.</p>

<p>The bowl will be visible, at lower center of the image, surrounded by other glassware.</p>

<p>The idea is to create a fog waterfall coming out of the bowl and flowing over the bases of the vessels.</p>

<p>I'm __assuming__ that high humidity will enhance the effect. Good thing I'm shooting in the summer.</p>

<p>I have no idea how much to get... probably a couple of pounds, broken up in icecube-size pieces.</p>

<p>I'll keep the extra dry ice in a Dewar flask. I hope the shoot won't last more than four hours.</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>OK, now I'm really curious about number 4...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>4) If you really want to make people in the room cry, lick a metal spoon and then push the curved side of the spoon as hard as you can into the dry ice. Believe me, there's no describing it, you just have to experience it.</p>

</blockquote>

@Luc Here's #4:

;)

@Leigh The way you describe the scene you'll definitely want to practice resetting the shot a couple

times as I describe in 9 above. The longer the dry ice is out flowing over the table the softer the fog will

get much like cigarette smoke dissipating in the wind. Resetting the scene will definitely help keep that

silky look.

@Leigh Also, the most important thing I forgot in my first post, depending on the heat/humidity you'll

probably have to add some hot water to the dry ice. Submerging the dry ice in hot water will produce an

immediate and long-lasting cloud but is hard to control. If it's hot and humid then adding a sprinkle of hot

water will get things started. The best way to achieve the effect you're looking for is to just play with it for

a while before shooting. :)

<p>Also, dry ice even in the freezer will seem to sort of "melt" -- it isn't really melting but it won't hold its shape over time, so if you put it on an open rack it will start to very, very slowly pour down into the gaps between the bars. So it's best to keep dry ice in a pan or bowl. Ceramic or metal is probably preferable to glass.</p>

<p>Hi Guys,</p>

<p>I think I need to experiment a bit with this before I take it into the studio.</p>

<p>Sounds like I should get the props and the ice and do some tabletopping here in the office first.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>